Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12V lights safer?

1. Back To Top    #1

12V lights safer?

Are 12v lights in a pool safer? I'm a little scared about having a light in my pool... However I know it's necessary... I can get a 12V light and the transformer for the same price as the 500W light .... So I was just wondering if it's safer as far as electric shock goes.....
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12V lights safer?

I don't really think so. GFCIs are good, a properly installed bonding system makes the risk very low, and the isolation of 120VAC in a transformer isn't that good. You'll generally see 12VDC lights being a decent amount lower wattage than AC lights.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with John. I don't see how one's any safer than the other. The niche in either case will be grounded so if there were any leakage it will short directly to the niche and not travel across the pool. Besides, as John said, GFCI's are very good at what they're designed for.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks... I'm just afraid of the lights... They will def be on GFCI... As well as the pump... The pool will be bonded very well to rebar, everything metal and back to the pump... Is there still potential to be shocked? Like if the lights malfunction and get water in them?? I just want to be safe and cover everything...
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Ok thanks... I'm just afraid of the lights...
    Are you planning on doing this work yourself?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes.... If I do it exactly to code I should be fine... I've had bad experiences hiring "professionals"... Even if I would hire someone I still want to know exactly what to do and how safe it is... It's just water and electricity scares me... So I just wanna be safe!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hire a professional electrician. When he's done just push him in. If he doesn't get electrocuted you're good to go
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Haha!! Best advice yet!