Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump sizing help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump sizing help?

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new pump. ~13000 gal in ground pool. 2" suction line. 1 1/2" return. 24" sand filter. Soon to be adding a SWCG.

I currently have a pentair whisperflow 1 1/2 hp single speed. Would like to go to a 2 speed or variable, without breaking the bank.

What model/size do you all recommend?
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump sizing help?

I'd get a 1 HP 2 speed. Variable speeds are a waste of money in most cases.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

You could just downsize the impeller and motor which would be about 1/2 the cost of a new pump. Since you don't have any real flow rate requirements, you go down to a 3/4 full rated HP impeller or even a 1/2 HP impeller. I have a 21k pool and I am using the equivalent of a 1/2 HP pump and it even works fine with solar.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input.

I guess I should mention that:

1) the female threads on the whisperflow return are iffy due to a freeze last winter pushing the threaded pvc out - I've had leaking issues all summer around that fitting and am tired of jacking with it

and

2) the motor's bearings are shot, so I'm replacing the pump entirely.

After doing a little price shopping, I think the variable speed is out. But there are so many options for 2 speed vs/ energy efficient single speed - my head is spinning.

What do you mean I don't have any "real flow rate requirements"?

My goals are to spend as little as possible on a good pump and to use as little electricity as possible when I run it.

Any manufacturer/model recommendations would be most welcome - and if anyone needs more info on my setup I'm happy to provide it.
    Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

#1 is a good reason to get a new pump but #2 is a good reason to get just a new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by TFPJules111
    What do you mean I don't have any "real flow rate requirements"?
    What I meant by that is you don't have any HIGH flow rate requirements that would require a large pump so you could go with as small a pump as you can find. The smaller the pump, the more energy that you will save. The Whisperflo WFDS-3 or WFDS-24 (identical performance but different labels) are the smallest two speeds you will find in the Whisperflo line of pumps and they are also very good pumps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Both of the pumps you recommend are 115v. I have 230v at the pad & no interest in running 115v out there.

Based on a quick look on the net - all of the 3/4 2speeds are 115v.

I guess I have to go 1hp?
    Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

You can find 1 HP up rated two speed pump that runs at 230v. Remember that a 1 HP up rated is the same as a 3/4 HP full rated pump. All of these are pretty good pumps:

Pentair SuperFlo 340042
    Sta-Rite PHK2RAY6E-102L
    Hayward SuperPump SP2607X102S
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your help!

I have a Pentair Superflow 340042 1 HP 2 speed 230v on it's way.
    Support TFP!