Did I just damage my new sand filter? (hooked up backwards)

May 2, 2008
Oh my, I'm feeling a lot of anxiety right now. So please forgive me if what I'm typing is hard to follow.

I just finished hooking up my new Hayward sand filter. I'm usually very meticulous about things like this but somehow I hooked up the plumbing backwards. I ended up running the filter for maybe 1-2 minutes before I noticed that sand was blowing out of the pool. Not realizing what was going on, I stopped the pump, set the valve to backwash and when I turned it back on the water was barely coming out. I knew something was wrong, so I turned off the pump and checked the plumbing and it was reversed. What a boneheaded mistake but I was so anxious and excited about this that I had a lapse in judgment. I will go to Lowes tomorrow and get more plumbing supplies and correct my plumbing error.

I'm really concerned about my sand filter. Did I damage the laterals or the valve with my plumbing error?

Re: Did I just damage my new sand filter? (hooked up backwar

You may find it still blows sand in the pool for a while when you restart it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.