Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellibrite Transformer Buzzing Normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellibrite Transformer Buzzing Normal?

Our pool, just about complete now, has a pair of Pentair 12v Intellbrite 5G lights in it. Last night, I wanted to see what they looked like, and the look is absolutely awesome.

However, we noticed a noticeable "buzzing" sound coming from the equipment pad when the lights were on. I had no idea what this sound was last night when we were looking, but this morning I remembered we had 12v lights, which must have a transformer to operate. Sure enough, I looked this morning, and saw the transformer, which must have been emitting the buzzing sound last night.

Is it normal for these transformers to buzz when the lights are on, or is this something I should have my PB look at?
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intellibrite Transformer Buzzing Normal?

You should definitely contact the PB but it's pretty comon to have a buzzing transformer. We had one at work that buzzed for 20 years loud, enough to hear inside the building.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama...

My PB was out here earlier doing some cleaning of the pool and adding acid, and he said it was unusual for him too. However, he said it might have something to do with the Pentair Intellibrite controller I had installed, as he had no experience with it. He said they normally just install a standard switch with these lights, and he doesn't get that sound when it's connected that way. He said he would do some checking and let me know.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to close this thread out....

Our PB sent his electrician over yesterday, and he replaced the transformer. The continuous buzzing sound is gone, according to our PB (I haven't listened to it yet)...now the only sounds coming from it are generated when the lights are turned on or the mode/color is changed. These sounds are caused by the controller switching the power on/off until the proper mode/color is attained.