Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool lighting question Standard Halogen to LED???

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool lighting question Standard Halogen to LED???

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a question about the light in my pool. I was interested in changing it out to one of the cool LED color changing models and I think I have figured out what all I have unfortunately it looks like the builder who built this pool (before my time - we just bought this house in April) installed a spa sized light in my 9' x 30' 10k gallon pool. The trim ring is 6" in diameter. I have not found any markings on the light fixture but did find a label inside the niche that says it is an American Products Model SNL750. I also know the light has a 12v / 75W, what looks like a halogen, lamp in it. The light seems to do a pretty good job lighting the pool - no complaints there - just want to jazz it up with color and such.

Now my question - being that I have a spa sized light fixture in my pool will the Pentair Intelibrite LED 12v spa light be bright enough to light my pool? $500+ is a lot of money to spend and find out it will only give off enough light to illuminate the deep end of my pool. I have already pulled the existing light out and it has 60' of wire on it but when I tried to get the fixture to the pool deck edge I was about 6-10 inches short. With that being said 60' of wire will not be enough to be able to remove the light from the niche to service it in the future when I actually have water in the pool. If I go with Pentair I will have to purchase the model 640132 which comes with 100' but I will cut off as much as I can so I do not loose voltage through the length of the wire.

Any suggestions and/ or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Brian Ice
    East side of the Tampa Bay FL area.
    9x30 6' deep to 3' deep. 10k gallon(?)
    IG concrete pool w/ marcite surface.
    Cartridge filter 70gpm 50 psi. 3/4 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool lighting question Standard Halogen to LED???

A straight white LED might put out enough lumens but I seriously doubt a color one would.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Pool Guy that's kind of what I thought. I can't believe a contractor would make such a foolish move as installing a light designed for a spa in a full size pool. Now I am stuck for good. Unbelievable.
    Brian Ice

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by clevelandice
    Thanks Pool Guy that's kind of what I thought. I can't believe a contractor would make such a foolish move as installing a light designed for a spa in a full size pool. Now I am stuck for good. Unbelievable.

Try contacting these guys http://www.nextstepproduct.com/SAVI/Sav ... Light.html

This might work for you.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks racket
    I think you're right - that probably would have worked. I contacted the sales reps and one just got back to me saying those lights were discontinued over a year ago but are still on the website. Oh well. Thanks for the thought though.....
    Brian Ice

6. Back To Top    #6

Lots of different vendors sell the Savi light, e.g....

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-Light ... gories.bok
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    Lots of different vendors sell the Savi light, e.g....

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-Light ... gories.bok
    You will find that they don't stock them. There is a lot of obsolete product listed on websites which they have no way of getting.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool