Hayward Ecostar Variable speed pump, ??What speed??

tonyr

Jan 3, 2012
Im really confused about what speed I should be running my Pump (%) for maximum efficiency. My pool is newly built and I would like to take advantage of the cost savings of the variable speed on my electric bill , but not sure what my GPM are and I'm very confused about figuring it out.
Thank you for any help :hammer: http://www.troublefreepool.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=5#

Tell us more about your pool and equipment. That way we'll have an idea of where to start, but basically you pick a speed and if it keeps the pool clear then back off a bit and keep doing that until it doesn't keep the pool clean and bump it back up a little.

Like Bama said, we need more info to help, there are a lot of factors to consider.

Basically, your starting point is enough GPM to turn over your pool in a day. From there, you need to make adjustments on based on your pool, did you get enough flow for good skimmer action. Additionally, did you get enough flow to support your heater, solar or SWG assuming you have of those. Next quest is what other features do you need to support, like a cleaner, a spa, water features etc...

In the end, it may not be the cheapest the pump can run, but its the cheapest your pump can run to support your pool's needs.

Here is what I have in the Hydraulics link below. It is rough guestimate.

Variable Speed Pump Flow Rate Approximations

The following formulas use the affinity equations to yield a very rough estimate of flow rate.

1.5" Return Line with 1 x 1.5" Suction Line:
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 47
EcoStar Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 48
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0167 * GPM^2 - CEC Curve A

1.5" Return Line with 2 x 1.5" Suction Lines or 1 x 2" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 44
EcoStar Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 45
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0140 * GPM^2

2" Return Line with 1 x 2" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 37
EcoStar Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 38
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0093 * GPM^2

2" Return Line with 2 x 2" Suction Lines or 1 x 2.5" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 35
EcoStar Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 36
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0083 * GPM^2 - CEC Curve C

2.5" Return Line with 1 x 2.5" Suction Line
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 34
EcoStar Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 35
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0074 * GPM^2

2.5" Return Line with 2 x 2.5" Suction Lines
Intelliflo Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 33
EcoStar Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 34
Plumbing Head (ft)= 0.0069 * GPM^2

If you want something that is a bit more accurate, I will need the following:

Pump Make/Model
Height of pump relative to the pool water level
Diameter and number of individual suction pipes from the equipment to the pool
Diameter and number of individual return pipes from the equipment to the pool
Diameter of return eyeballs
Filter type and backwash valve model if known
Filter PSI reading at the desired valve settings and pump's highest speed setting.
Optional: Pump suction reading (in-hg) - not necessary but improves accuracy
Heater - yes or no
Pool/Spa valve - yes or no

Thanks mas985

Pump Make/Model Hayward Ecostar
Height of pump relative to the pool water level 18"
Diameter and number of individual suction pipes from the equipment to the pool 2 1/2" main drain 20', 2" skimmer 48'
Diameter and number of individual return pipes from the equipment to the pool 3 returns 1 1/2" 60'
Diameter of return eyeballs 3/4"
Filter type and backwash valve model if known 175sf Hayward cartridge
Filter PSI reading at the desired valve settings and pump's highest speed setting. Filter PSI reading at pump's highest speed is 20psi
Optional: Pump suction reading (in-hg) - not necessary but improves accuracy
Heater - yes or no NO
Pool/Spa valve - yes or no NO

Just to confirm, do you actually have three separate return lines going from the equipment pad to the pool. Normally it is one line that is split at the pool. With 1 1/2" pipe it makes sense that there would be three but I just wanted to confirm.

With the suction though, I assume those are two separate lines going from the equipment all the way to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With 3 separate return lines, I get a filter pressure around 20 PSI but with a single return line, I get a filter pressure of close to 26 PSI. Something isn't quite right. From the drawing it looks like the returns are separate pipe. Unfortunately, the drawing is not high enough resolution so I can't zoom in on it.

Can you take a picture of the equipment pad?

It also looks like you have a waterfall and bubblers. Are those on when you read 20 PSI?

Are you sure that line from the SWG does not split into three underground near the pad? You didn't happen to take a picture before the pipes were covered up?

Anyway, assuming the 20 PSI is correct and represents the actual return head loss, the flow rate should be around RPM/29 or 118 GPM at full speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.