Making the 'plunge' to salt

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have decided to install a CPSC48 on my system. I travel a lot now, and need something to automate my pool chlorine. Found it at Pool N Patio for $744 with free shipping.

I read about the install here:
cpsc48-install-t32089.html
I don't believe I have any questions in regards to the installation of the unit. I'll also be removing my dead pool heater at the same time, so this will be a fun project :) We don't need no stinkin' pool heater in Dallas anyway!

I read through Pool School, but didn't see how to do the initial start-up. Do I add half the salt, check the level via the CPSC, then add accordingly, slowly bringing the salt content up to ideal before firing up the SWCG? I have plenty of Clorox on hand to keep the pool chlorinated until the salt is ready.

Does the type of salt really matter all that much? There are huge price differences from one type to another. The cheapest salt I found at HD is this one, $3.30 per 40 lbs. It says it's 99.6% pure.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
The other salts are 2x more expensive, or even more.

Currently, my pool chems are spot-on, no problems, good TA, borates at about 40 ppm.

I was going to hold off on going salt until the replaster, but since the water restrictions here forbid draining and refilling, I'll be keeping what I have for at least another year.

Hello,
Glad my post was able to help. I used the pool calculator to figure out how much salt to use. I overshot my level by several hundred PPM. Most pools will already have some salt in them from prior chemicals.

I would use test strips to confirm the amount of salt prior to adding. I used the cheap water softner salt. (yeap 99.6% stuff). Depending on how cold the water is it will take a while to dissolve, pour it in then brush the sides. Works pretty well. Also it looks like diamonds on the bottom of the pool, kinda cool looking.

Have your pool chemicals FC/TC/PH/CYA in order prior to starting. Shoot for 3500 ppm or so to begin with made two trips to HD to pick up the salt and added all at once and brushed the pools sides down. It dissolved within about 45 minutes.

Is your pump set up for 120 or 240 volts. That will determine how you set up the CPSC48. I wired my setup to the intermatic timer. When the pump comes on the SWCG comes on.

What's your pump run time? One you hook the SWCG start at 100% if your producing too much chlorine turn down the percentage, if it at 100% and not producing enough you'll need to increase your run time.

I've got the same unit I'm running 1 turnover (about 5 hours) and it's currently set at 30%, in the summer it's about 70%.

My pump is 120V so I've set my CPSC48 for 120V. The hookup is CB to Intermatic 101 then the pump and the SWCG work off the Intermatic timer.

It doesn't pose a problem that the pump is priming and the SWCG is coming on. I've never had a fault indication. The water primes pretty quick in my system with in about 45 seconds. I know the CPSC has a built in timer but never needed to use it, and the directions are pretty lacking to utilize it.

My pump runs 120v, but I have 240v nearby. I'm going to reset the CPSC to 120v though, since that's easier to deal with.

Currently my pump run time is only 4 hours, but it's cold. I run 8-10 hours in the summer.

According to the pool calculator, I'll need 1100 lbs of salt! But, I'm sure I have some salt already since I have been using bleach for so long.

Yeap, shoot for 25 bags, make several trips if you don't have a truck. Do you know your CYA level?
You may need to increase your run time to maintain the appropriate FC level. The SWCG is great for maintaining, but you may still have to add liquid chlorine after heavy bather load, but it sure beats having to add chlorine every day or so.

It appears the cell goes between the heater and the pool, is that right? Your plumbing looks strange to me because it appears to be in a loop.

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge, I can haul a lot more than 1100 lbs of salt. :)

CYA is currently 40. Going to bring it up to 75 to start.

CompuPool CPSC48 arrived today. That control box is heavy, that's a big transformer inside! Have it switched over to 110v and excited to do the install tonight. We cut out my pool heater Saturday, found a receipt inside dated 1976. I was surprised it wasn't older, honestly. We cut it up and I'm hauling the steel and copper to the recycle company in a while to recoup some expenses. Something I didn't anticipate were the asbestos blocks lining inside the heater. We got it all really wet, had masks on, and very carefully removed them. Keep that in mind if you are working on anything really old like we were.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the system so far. No, the cell isn't mounted yet :) I have to go to a commercial plumbing supply today. Both Home Depot and Lowes said "We only do home stuff" when I asked for the 2" copper fittings. When I said it was for my home, they looked at me like I was crazy. Young people don't remember copper pipes being common.

And yes, the Liquidator is coming out.

We decided to cut out most the PVC as it looked like an amateur did the work. There were way more bends and such than were needed. Cutting the heater out helped too.

saltsystem.jpg

Here's 1200 lbs of salt waiting to go in

salt.jpg

While I was waiting on the salt, a Ford Ranger was next to me having a pallet of shingles put in the bed of his truck. It didn't work :)

Here's a bad picture of the finished product. I'll get a before pic up ASAP.

saltfinished.jpg

I needed two copper fittings, one 2" and one 1.5". Total cost $60, wholesale! OUCH!

copper.jpg

Found out my pump is 220v, so I had to put my SWG controller back on 220v, after going through the trouble of putting on 110v. Oh well!

Also found out that THIRTY 40lb bags isn't enough for my pool. It's testing 2830 right now, which means I need another 7-8 bags!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.