Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: seperate pump for bubblers?

1. Back To Top    #1

seperate pump for bubblers?

I'm building a 16' x 36' shotcrete pool (19,000 gallons). No spa, and the only water feature is 3 bubblers on a tanning ledge. My plans call for a 1 3/4 variable speed Jandy ePump. But I started wondering if I should I get a second pump for the bubblers? I'd like to be able to turn those on and off whenever we want, but it seems a little wasteful to buy another pump just for three bubblers. I guess I could get an actuator and a controller to turn the bubblers on and off using one pump.... What do you guys think?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: seperate pump for bubblers?

I would go with using your main pump with the bubblers. It's a lot easier to add some pipe and a valve than a separate suction, pump, wiring, etc. Also, it's less stuff to fail in the future
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

How deep will the shelf be that the bubblers will be installed in/on? Will they be lit or just open pipe? This may impact the size of the pump needed to provide the desired effect you are looking for.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

are you doing any type of automation? if so, it would be easy to create a circuit that would open the valve and redirect the return water to your bubblers. You could even have different levels of bubbling since it is a variable speed pump.

There is absolutely no reason to spend the money for another pump. The bubblers are simply returns pointing upwards.....and if you add another pump, you will need another set of drains. If you had a spa, it would be a different story...but for this application, you'd have no benefit using another pump.

you could probably put in inexpensive automation like a sun touch for the same price as an extra pump and drains.
    Owner of Monogram Custom Pools in NE PA. My Personal Pool - 1000sf gunite pebble pool with 1500 gallon spa/grotto and 500 gallon outdoor spa; Pentair i9 Intellitouch with i10x expansion panel. Screenlogic 2/iPhone
    Intelloflo SVRS main pump, 6 whisperflow pumps 2hp to 3hp, Intellichem system, ic60 salt water cell, Sta rite 400k btu heater, Pentair 120k btu heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the water will only be about 4" deep where the bubblers are. No we're not planning on having them lit or anything so I agree one pump makes more sense. Thanks for the input.
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina