Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump/filter mixing brands...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump/filter mixing brands...

I am about to put in a new pool... Saving every penny possible... ... Someone is filling in their pool and I can get a Hayward sand filter for about $50... If I delet the sand filter from my kit I will save $350... However, my pump will be a 1.5hp Jandy... Does this matter? Will it cause problems when hooking everything up? Also what should I look for buying a used sand filter...
    Thanks!!!
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump/filter mixing brands...

No it won't matter.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

4. Back To Top    #4

The biggest thing you need to know is what size is the sand filter. Also you may be able to save some on the pump too. 1½ hp is a pretty big pump. What size and type pool are you putting in? You should certainly consider a 2-speed pump, 3/4 or 1 hp should be plenty big.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a 20x40.... 8ft deep... The filter I'm getting is coming off of a 18x50... So we pretty close in size.... And the sand filter is 24".... He also has a pump... But he doesn't know if he wants to sell that yet.... Not sure what size it is.... If I get a new one... Should I go with the 1hp? I don't know if they offer a 2 speed??

6. Back To Top    #6

Drop the HP to no more than a 1 HP with a 24" sand filter.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely get a 2-speed if you possibly can.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

concur go with 2 speed.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thanks!!! What are the benefits of 2 speed?? Turn it down at night or during the winter?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Drop the HP to no more than a 1 HP with a 24" sand filter.

Scott
    Ok thanks! I will take your advice!

11. Back To Top    #11

The biggest advantage of a 2-speed pump is that you can run it most all the time on low and just switch to high for backwashing and/or vacuuming. That way you save a lot of electricity over running a single speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep in mind though that with a 2 speed, the flow switches for heaters and salt cells may not close and erosion feeders may not capture enough flow due to lower pipe velocities to properly feed sufficiently.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok guys... Thanks!! I appreciate it!