Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: forgot main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

forgot main drain

I just remembered today that I didn't blow out my main drain. I've rented a blower from a pool store for this, should I go and rent it or should I just pour anti-freeze? If the store isn't open or they don't have the blower available, what are my options? BTW, I'm in central NJ.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: forgot main drain

At this point I'd pour it full of antifreeze till the color came out the MD cover if the blower wasn't readily available. Since it's heavier than water it should displace the water as you pour.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: forgot main drain

I want to clarify something....I did blow out the main drain, and then after I closed the valve and had to open it again to blow out a skimmer, that's when I forgot to blow it out again.

I thought about pouring anitifreeze, but I thought that it would push the water towards the pump as the anitfireeze settles towards the bottom and "pushes" the water up the pipe, since that is the path with the least resistance.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit