Help me decided on concrete deck contractors

rhumbaclave

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
We are at the concrete deck phase and right now I am deciding between these two bids. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bid 1
My father in law used him and his work was good.
1600-1700 square feet of concrete
All grade work, forms, rebar, and stamped. He will build a fire pit using sono tubes as well. The thickness will be that of a 2x4 so under 4 inches. He said he will stamp with the rubber slate stamps and add some powder to the stamps as he lays them to give color. This concrete would not have color in it. I have not heard of this technique before. He guarantees his work as long as he is in business.

23 yards of grey concrete stamped and sort of stained.

PRICE $5400

Bid 2
Found contractor on Craigslist and checked out some of his portfolio really like the work. 1600-1700 square feet of concrete He would do all the compaction, grading, forms and stamp. His concrete would have color in it and he would match the colors of my existing rocks with acrylic stain. He would pour 5 inches thick with fiber and rebar. Also he would do a fire pit. In addition he said we would add 24 LED lights to the concrete.

30 yards of color concrete, stamped and stained.

PRICE $8500

Right now since we are already over budget I am leaning to bid 1 but then adding some LED lights in different places. But is this wise? Will concrete under 4 inches crack terribly, or worse then concrete 5 inches? Is it worth it to maybe ask for bid one to add color to the concrete? That would add about $700.

Rubber slates with powder for the stamping is fine -- thats what our pool builder did, although this was as a complement to color already in the concrete - if I understand it correctly. Can't answer about the concrete thickness - I didn't pay attention to that. The bigger question is if you want the concrete sealed to ensure it will last. Also, ensure that whoever does the work will stand by it -- we had some issues with efflorescence on our deck, likely because there was more water under the ground than anticipated, but our builder so far has been very good about resolving any concerns.

Bid one is really good. Are you sure he's including the cost of the concrete in that price? If so, and his work is good, there's your winner.

Unsure what's all involved in the LED lighting, but 10 extra yards of unfinished concrete doesn't get you anywhere near the extra $3100 in bid 2. Even if it's 30 yards of colored concrete. Adding color adds a bit to the price... Adding yards adds a bit to the price (maybe $80 or $100 a yard depending lbs of color), but most of the money is in the work, which is grading, forming, and finishing. I don't think it would really cost any more to form and finish 5" of concrete vs 4". I think 4" is pretty standard... at least the stuff I've had done before was 4"... and I bet 5" thick concrete will crack all the same.

I would go with option 1 and add whatever color you'd like. It should only be a diference of maybe $500. If you want to check your contractor's math (careful that you don't make him angry because his price seems good). You can call any local cement company and ask what they charge for 24yards of whatever concrete color, plus delivery, plus pumping fee. They sell to individuals all the time.

fyton2v said:
Bid one is really good. Are you sure he's including the cost of the concrete in that price?

He is including the concrete for sure because I pay for the concrete company myself. It is 23 yards at $86/yard. The rest is labor so he is only charging around 3k for labor. The most inexpensive color would add $30/yard. With all of your input I am definitely leaning toward bid 1. The big discount is coming because they can do this on there slow time when we get some warmer days. Too bad I didn't have the coping up since it is going to be mid 60's the next couple of days. We should get a some more of these warm days in February as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.