Freezing in Central Florida

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
Tonight there is a hard freeze warning in central Florida. I shut down my pump and will turn it on tonight to keep the water moving. I'll also open a faucet and have it drain into my pool.
Any thoughts?

Temps in the 20s won't take long to freeze the water in the pipes that are exposed to air.

Why would you open a faucet? It should have an anti siphon valve. They usually stick in through the foundation where the warmth from the house will keep it from freezing.

Scott

I once did an experiment with a foot long 2" PVC pipe and it took over 12 hours to freeze solid in my freezer which is set to 0 degrees F. So it takes quite a long time for water to freeze in pipes because of the latent heat in the water. Add to that the heat of the equipment on the pad, the pad itself and the house it sits next to, there is a lot of heat that needs to be removed before the water can even start to freeze.

Also, I have a theoretical model which includes radiation, convection and conduction thermal transfer and it gave me pretty much the same answer as the test above. Using the model with an air temperature of 20 degrees F and a water temperature at 32 degrees already, it takes about 25 hours for water to freeze in a 2" pipe with no wind blowing. At a 10 MPH wind, it would take about 15 hours.

The model had given confidence several years ago, to turn off my freeze protection and I haven't used it since. During this time of year, we regularly get below freezing for up to 8 hours at a time and the pipes have never even begin to freeze. But even more amazing, on an especially cold night where the temperature reached a low of 22 degrees or so in the morning, I checked the pump basket, the clear check valve and the SWG and ice had not even started to form in any of those items. What was also interesting is that the air temp was 22 degrees but the water temperature sensor read 32 degrees in the section of pipe I couldn't visually check but that also told me that the pipe had not frozen yet or it would have been lower than 32 degrees.

One thing northerners don't get, is when they call for a hard freeze warning in the south it's not even a mild freeze in the north. For the most part, we're not prepared for the kind of freezes you guys get. Since we only see freezing temps one or two days a year, and even then it's only slightly below freezing and then only a few hours at a time, we really don't know what freezing is. :)

That's another good reason for people to put the location in their sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.