Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freezing in Central Florida

1. Back To Top    #1

Freezing in Central Florida

Hello All,
    Tonight there is a hard freeze warning in central Florida. I shut down my pump and will turn it on tonight to keep the water moving. I'll also open a faucet and have it drain into my pool.
    Any thoughts?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freezing in Central Florida

What's the projected temp?

If it's upper 20's or above your plan is good. Probably wouldn't freeze if you did nothing, given the short time you'll see below freezing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Temps in the 20s won't take long to freeze the water in the pipes that are exposed to air.

Why would you open a faucet? It should have an anti siphon valve. They usually stick in through the foundation where the warmth from the house will keep it from freezing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm also in Central Florida. Its my first winter with a pool and I have a quick question too. When running the filter overnight due to the freeze is it best to leave the SWG on or turn it down to zero?
    12K gallon IGP pebble finish. 1 HP Jandy Flo Pro pump, 100 sqft cartridge filter, Aqua Pure SWG, Taylor K-2005 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

That depends on the current chems and the water temp. Water below the mid 50's seriously slows a cell's ability to generate FC. Many folks simply switch to bleach every couple days.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. Water is still at 62. Chems are still good, was just wondering if any harm could come to the SWG if it is running when it is that cold outside. Sounds like I am OK. THANKS!
    12K gallon IGP pebble finish. 1 HP Jandy Flo Pro pump, 100 sqft cartridge filter, Aqua Pure SWG, Taylor K-2005 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I once did an experiment with a foot long 2" PVC pipe and it took over 12 hours to freeze solid in my freezer which is set to 0 degrees F. So it takes quite a long time for water to freeze in pipes because of the latent heat in the water. Add to that the heat of the equipment on the pad, the pad itself and the house it sits next to, there is a lot of heat that needs to be removed before the water can even start to freeze.

Also, I have a theoretical model which includes radiation, convection and conduction thermal transfer and it gave me pretty much the same answer as the test above. Using the model with an air temperature of 20 degrees F and a water temperature at 32 degrees already, it takes about 25 hours for water to freeze in a 2" pipe with no wind blowing. At a 10 MPH wind, it would take about 15 hours.

The model had given confidence several years ago, to turn off my freeze protection and I haven't used it since. During this time of year, we regularly get below freezing for up to 8 hours at a time and the pipes have never even begin to freeze. But even more amazing, on an especially cold night where the temperature reached a low of 22 degrees or so in the morning, I checked the pump basket, the clear check valve and the SWG and ice had not even started to form in any of those items. What was also interesting is that the air temp was 22 degrees but the water temperature sensor read 32 degrees in the section of pipe I couldn't visually check but that also told me that the pipe had not frozen yet or it would have been lower than 32 degrees.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Scott, Lots of homes in Florida don't have anti-siphon valves.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

One thing northerners don't get, is when they call for a hard freeze warning in the south it's not even a mild freeze in the north. For the most part, we're not prepared for the kind of freezes you guys get. Since we only see freezing temps one or two days a year, and even then it's only slightly below freezing and then only a few hours at a time, we really don't know what freezing is.

That's another good reason for people to put the location in their sig.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit