Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump will not prime

1. Back To Top    #1

pump will not prime

So I went on a 13 day trip and forgot to ask a neighbor to keep an eye on the water level of the pool. The water level got below the skimmers with the pump still running. I got the water level up and the pump running for a day or two and now the pump will not fully prime. Also the sand filter pressure gauge will not show any pressure. Did I damage the pump? Any suggestions will be helpful, thanks.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump will not prime

It's quite possible that the pump ran nearly dry. This can generate a significant amount of heat in the pump, enough to boil water, generate steam, and warp or shrink the plumbing and destroy the seal set between the impeller and motor. A warped pump basket is a strong indicator this occurred.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: pump will not prime

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    It's quite possible that the pump ran nearly dry. This can generate a significant amount of heat in the pump, enough to boil water, generate steam, and warp or shrink the plumbing and destroy the seal set between the impeller and motor. A warped pump basket is a strong indicator this occurred.

Scott
    The pump basket does not seem to be warped at all. After I attempt to flush out the skimmer lines with a drain king I will take apart the pump and see if the seal set needs replacement. Thanks for the help.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.