How to fix this?...

Magnew

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Hello:
I inherited this issue when I bought the house. It leaks at a rate of about one drop every five seconds. The leak is somewhere between the two couplings. Is there a way to fix this, other than replacing the Jandy valve and starting over? It's kinda bothering me.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Error (Medium).jpg
    Error (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 251
Re: How to fix this?

Replumb. You have drain fittings being used where they shouldn't and you should have unions so you can make repairs. I don't think there is any good repair and you have other problems to correct.

Thanks. The drain fittings were my own doing. I was carried away with wanting a long sweep, hoping to improve the hydraulics.

I wish there was a "how-to" book on how to do this all properly. I can measure, cut, and glue pipe together myself. It's doing it properly that is the challenge, without any real experience.

I'm not happy with my results on this.
I don't think it's all that bad. It looks to me like you had seen very little PVC work before and simply didn't realize all the fittings that are available to you.

I would suggest you look at pictures throughout this forum and study that plumbing which is neat and clean and then redo your own. You'll do a fine job. Those sweep 90's that are intended for non-pressure use, while not up to "code" will probably only last 40-50 years at normal pool pressure so they won't kill you either.

That said, I would suggest the use of pressure fittings (sched 40 90's, etc) because the resistance savings are really very minor and your work will be much neater with them.

When I did my plumbing, I dry fit the entire puzzle together before I glued anything. I even put a little vaseline on the joints to make them seat properly and then come apart easily. A REAL pro would've laughed at that but my end result was pretty decent. (clean that vaseline off with a rag and then solvent if you do that!! :goodjob: )

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the "push."
I have thought of using vaseline or soap to pre-fit everything, but was not confident that I could get them completely clean before I glued them back together. Any suggestions on a solvent?

Also, I am curious how I could get a square cut on a pipe that is coming out of the ground. I have a sawzall, but is there some kind of jig that is made to help get square cuts with in-place plumbing?

I will be looking at the photos of others' plumbing masterpieces throughout the forums.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any suggestions on a solvent?
The same stuff you use as primer before you put the PVC glue on. Getting a little harder to find it in "clear" color but I really don't like the finished product when you use purple......I understand the benefit, I simply don't like it.

but is there some kind of jig that is made to help get square cuts with in-place plumbing?
I pre-draw the cut using a level. It's not perfect, but is usually close enough.

I have never tried it, but I suppose you could cut a coupling in half and use it as a guide if most of your cuts were of the same diameter pipe.

Actually, I kind of like your sweep 90's since I've found that most clogs show up in the standard 90 elbow fittings.

In any event, I think you can fix that connection to the Jandy valve without having to buy a new one. If that is 2" plumbing (e.g. the connectors that fit on the outside of the Jandy port), then you could fit a 1.5 inch bushing inside the Jandy port and transition it to 2" plumbing. Of course, you first have to cut off the 2" connector about an inch or so from the end of the 2" connector.

As for cutting PVC, I use a SawsAll equipped with very fine teeth. I mark the cut I want to make, score it a bit with a triangle file, and then cut as carefully as I can to keep it close to a square cut. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close to square. It's probably just me, but I find scoring the pipe minimizes the tendency of the SawsAll blade to jump around. This can mess up bonding if you've thrashed up the raw PVC with a bunch of small cut marks.

You've got some leeway when cutting the pipe, the connectors have ample room to cover a slightly crooked cut so it dosn't have to be perfectly straight. The sealant you use in this type of construction is awesome stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.