Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to fix this?...

1. Back To Top    #1

How to fix this?...

Hello:
    I inherited this issue when I bought the house. It leaks at a rate of about one drop every five seconds. The leak is somewhere between the two couplings. Is there a way to fix this, other than replacing the Jandy valve and starting over? It's kinda bothering me.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

9500 gallon plaster/gunite pool w/waterfall, 1/2 HP 1sp pump, 120 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 336 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panels, CPSC16 SWG, Boratized

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to fix this?

Replumb. You have drain fittings being used where they shouldn't and you should have unions so you can make repairs. I don't think there is any good repair and you have other problems to correct.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to fix this?...

Thanks. The drain fittings were my own doing. I was carried away with wanting a long sweep, hoping to improve the hydraulics.

I wish there was a "how-to" book on how to do this all properly. I can measure, cut, and glue pipe together myself. It's doing it properly that is the challenge, without any real experience.
    Mike

9500 gallon plaster/gunite pool w/waterfall, 1/2 HP 1sp pump, 120 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 336 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panels, CPSC16 SWG, Boratized

4. Back To Top    #4

Just make sure you use unions so the valve can be saved in the future.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you are not comfortable gluing pipe you can use a fernco coupling. just cut a one inch gap between the pipes where the clamps are at and just slide the flexible coupling in and tighten it down. It's not as sexy as a glue union but it would be a lot easier to install if you don't feel comfortable plumbing.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FERNCO ... _sku=4P005
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know if a max 4.3 psi coupling is going to hold under pressure when the pump is on.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I'd like to hire a pro to do this, but I don't know any. I've always done most things myself, thinking no one would be as meticulous as me, but I'm not happy with my results on this.
    Mike

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I'm not happy with my results on this.
    I don't think it's all that bad. It looks to me like you had seen very little PVC work before and simply didn't realize all the fittings that are available to you.

I would suggest you look at pictures throughout this forum and study that plumbing which is neat and clean and then redo your own. You'll do a fine job. Those sweep 90's that are intended for non-pressure use, while not up to "code" will probably only last 40-50 years at normal pool pressure so they won't kill you either.

That said, I would suggest the use of pressure fittings (sched 40 90's, etc) because the resistance savings are really very minor and your work will be much neater with them.

When I did my plumbing, I dry fit the entire puzzle together before I glued anything. I even put a little vaseline on the joints to make them seat properly and then come apart easily. A REAL pro would've laughed at that but my end result was pretty decent. (clean that vaseline off with a rag and then solvent if you do that!! )
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    I don't know if a max 4.3 psi coupling is going to hold under pressure when the pump is on.
    good point, the one's I have are thicker but they are all random manufacturers. Fernco is the only one I know off hand.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the "push."
    I have thought of using vaseline or soap to pre-fit everything, but was not confident that I could get them completely clean before I glued them back together. Any suggestions on a solvent?

Also, I am curious how I could get a square cut on a pipe that is coming out of the ground. I have a sawzall, but is there some kind of jig that is made to help get square cuts with in-place plumbing?

I will be looking at the photos of others' plumbing masterpieces throughout the forums.

Thanks again.
    Mike

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Any suggestions on a solvent?
    The same stuff you use as primer before you put the PVC glue on. Getting a little harder to find it in "clear" color but I really don't like the finished product when you use purple......I understand the benefit, I simply don't like it.

but is there some kind of jig that is made to help get square cuts with in-place plumbing?
    I pre-draw the cut using a level. It's not perfect, but is usually close enough.

I have never tried it, but I suppose you could cut a coupling in half and use it as a guide if most of your cuts were of the same diameter pipe.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Actually, I kind of like your sweep 90's since I've found that most clogs show up in the standard 90 elbow fittings.

In any event, I think you can fix that connection to the Jandy valve without having to buy a new one. If that is 2" plumbing (e.g. the connectors that fit on the outside of the Jandy port), then you could fit a 1.5 inch bushing inside the Jandy port and transition it to 2" plumbing. Of course, you first have to cut off the 2" connector about an inch or so from the end of the 2" connector.

As for cutting PVC, I use a SawsAll equipped with very fine teeth. I mark the cut I want to make, score it a bit with a triangle file, and then cut as carefully as I can to keep it close to a square cut. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close to square. It's probably just me, but I find scoring the pipe minimizes the tendency of the SawsAll blade to jump around. This can mess up bonding if you've thrashed up the raw PVC with a bunch of small cut marks.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

13. Back To Top    #13

You've got some leeway when cutting the pipe, the connectors have ample room to cover a slightly crooked cut so it dosn't have to be perfectly straight. The sealant you use in this type of construction is awesome stuff.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list