Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH test turns purple?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH test turns purple?

If the CH test turns purple instead of blue is it the same thing? I ran the test twice and after 8 drops the sample turned a solid purple. On the second test I added 8 more drops and observed no change in the color - still same shade of purple. This past summer my fill water was 120-140 so
    I'm finding 80 to be surprising.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH test turns purple?

No, not the same thing. From Extended Test Kit Directions:

The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh boy...metal ions? What am I looking for with those? Could the new liner have provided these?

Thanks Richard!

4. Back To Top    #4

The fill water most likely did. The liner has no metal.

Did the fill water from from a well or a municipal source? Wells are the #1 source of metals, usually iron in the water. Did you use any copper based algaecides?

There are tests for iron and copper, the two largest culprits by far.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

We filled from the house/city supply. I didn't add any algaecide...but the installer might have as the fill finished when I wasn't home. I'll be talking with him today.

6. Back To Top    #6

how old are you chemicals?
    also here's the direct link to Taylor Technologies CH test issues:
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=70

the problem your experiencing is towards the bottom of the page.

Beware the Fading Endpoint

Occasionally when testing calcium hardness you may get a purple endpoint instead of blue. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is due to interference from metal ions (most likely copper from algaecides, pipes, or source water). Retest, but prevent the interference by adding five or six drops of hardness reagent to the sample before adding the buffer and indicator. Then proceed as usual. Remember to count the drops of titrant added at the beginning when you calculate the total number of drops required to reach the endpoint.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. The chems are about 13 months old...but there's no staining of the bottles and I've kept them in a cool dry place. If the floating end point variant of the test doesn't work then I'll replace the reagents unless I'm advised otherwise?

8. Back To Top    #8

13 Month old reagents can be the cause of false results...

Curious, can poolrx, Nature2, or Frog mineral purifiers be a source of metal ions causing this as well?

Chelating the water with 25oz @ 16kgal bottle of Natural Chemistry Metal Free or various others can only help.
    Be absolutely sure its a chelating agent, so many companies claim to remove metals when its only a sequesting agent.

9. Back To Top    #9

You know, I looked a the bottles more carefully on Sunday and the purple one is definitely stained. I'm ordering new ones today. I'm also going to go to my local mom and pop shop today or tomorow and have them run the test - they've been pretty consistent with my own testing in the past. I'll repost with results. I also need to test the fill water from the spigot to see if it turns purple too...

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ProPoolGuy
    Curious, can poolrx, Nature2, or Frog mineral purifiers be a source of metal ions causing this as well?
    I'm not using any of these.