How to add calcium chloride to a vinyl pool?

carlscan26

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I have a bucket of hardness increased from Leslie's - which I am assuming is calcium chloride? On the tub it warns against premixing with water and especially not hot water as it says that beat will be released when adding this to water. With a brand new liner I am extra paranoid somewhat is the safest way to add the hardness up. I'll post another thread as I'm having trouble with the CH test but I believe right now I'm at 80 which is surprising because this summer my fill water was 120-140.

Yeah I know...but the warranty specifies certain water parameters being maintained and bumping the CH to the minimum is not a whole lot of CH and as it won't hurt anything either I want to get it in line per their reqs. God help me of we do have a problem and I have to discuss FC/CYA with them as their rec for CL is 1-2 ppm with 40-60 CYA...2 ppm is borderline at 40, and definitely not high enough at 60...

5 gallon buck of water, 5 lbs of Calcium. Stir vigorously, wait a few minutes and stir it again. pour around the the pool. Repeat as needed to add the desired amount.

As Richard noted though, it isn't needed and there isn't a liner manufacturer that would claim a lack of CH caused a failure and get away with it.

Scott

I wouldn't worry too much, assuming its well dissolved, the heat will disperse quickly. You can either slowly pour it in front of a return while its running, or just added it as you walk around the pool. Alternatively, you could just do smaller amount of calcium per bucket, this will reduce the amount of heat created per application.

With a vinyl pool, you don't need much CH at all (arguably, you don't need any). From your original post, you said your fill is 120-140 CH, that should pretty much be enough? What is your target CH?

I'm targeting 200...plus I have this 8lb bucket of Calcium Hardener I bought when we first moved in and I was being pool stored...figured it can;t hurt to raise the CH a bit to get rid of this bucket in the shed...

I need to rerun the CH test though now that I know I have a floating end point issue. But I expect it to be 120-140 as before. So the 8 lbs is good for about 55ppm which will get me close enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.