Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to add calcium chloride to a vinyl pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to add calcium chloride to a vinyl pool?

I have a bucket of hardness increased from Leslie's - which I am assuming is calcium chloride? On the tub it warns against premixing with water and especially not hot water as it says that beat will be released when adding this to water. With a brand new liner I am extra paranoid somewhat is the safest way to add the hardness up. I'll post another thread as I'm having trouble with the CH test but I believe right now I'm at 80 which is surprising because this summer my fill water was 120-140.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to add calcium chloride to a vinyl pool?

You don't need CH in a vinyl pool. There's no danger of leaching it out of the plaster. Too much CH can still cause scaling, though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah I know...but the warranty specifies certain water parameters being maintained and bumping the CH to the minimum is not a whole lot of CH and as it won't hurt anything either I want to get it in line per their reqs. God help me of we do have a problem and I have to discuss FC/CYA with them as their rec for CL is 1-2 ppm with 40-60 CYA...2 ppm is borderline at 40, and definitely not high enough at 60...

4. Back To Top    #4

5 gallon buck of water, 5 lbs of Calcium. Stir vigorously, wait a few minutes and stir it again. pour around the the pool. Repeat as needed to add the desired amount.

As Richard noted though, it isn't needed and there isn't a liner manufacturer that would claim a lack of CH caused a failure and get away with it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Scott!

6. Back To Top    #6

it will get warm.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I can let the bucket cool down before I add it to the pool...

8. Back To Top    #8

I wouldn't worry too much, assuming its well dissolved, the heat will disperse quickly. You can either slowly pour it in front of a return while its running, or just added it as you walk around the pool. Alternatively, you could just do smaller amount of calcium per bucket, this will reduce the amount of heat created per application.

With a vinyl pool, you don't need much CH at all (arguably, you don't need any). From your original post, you said your fill is 120-140 CH, that should pretty much be enough? What is your target CH?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm targeting 200...plus I have this 8lb bucket of Calcium Hardener I bought when we first moved in and I was being pool stored...figured it can;t hurt to raise the CH a bit to get rid of this bucket in the shed...

I need to rerun the CH test though now that I know I have a floating end point issue. But I expect it to be 120-140 as before. So the 8 lbs is good for about 55ppm which will get me close enough.