Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I might be Crazy?

1. Back To Top    #1

I might be Crazy?

We live in Wisconsin and my wife wants to be able to use an IGP all year. I have some idea's but I thought I would see if any of the experts think it is possible. This will be new construction for home and pool and we are going to have Geothermal Heat for home so the loop will be installed if it makes sense to heat pool with same. Oh yea it's damm cold most of the time.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    Building year round use outdoor in ground pool in Wisconsin

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I might be Crazy?

Hi, Patrick,

Welcome to the forum.

The amount of energy required to heat a pool is stunning compared to heating your home. You would need FAR more btu's to keep an IG pool swimmable in Wisconsin than you might think.

As a btu rookie, I had visions of heating my pool with a whole house wood heater.......there were not enough trees in North Carolina to do what I wanted!! Granted, I have a very large pool but the energy required is enormous.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Perhaps a dumb question, but are you referring to an enclosed IGP or one fully exposed to the elements?
    I've seen several people here in northern Ontario (ie: cold) with IGP's used all year but they are enclosed in a pool room, an IGP open to the elements isn't gonna happen, well, I guess it could but man, you'd have to throw a tremendous amount of heat at the thing.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

I think it will be cheaper to find a hotel with a pool in Palm Springs and send your wife there for 6 months out of the year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

But could you trust the water?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

You guys are TOTALLY missing the point here!

May I be the first to congratulate your wife on her (as yet to be incorporated into the design)...............enclosed hot tub.
    My condolences to Rocksolidfloors.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

Pretty...
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

If you haven't built the pool what about an indoor pool. It would certainly, increase the cost of building it, but should help with the heating costs of the pool.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Find a heating and cooling guy that is extremely knowlageble in geothermal before you do it. Water is the hardest thing to heat. Had a friend built an enclosed pool it was going to take 22 wells to do the pool alone. That was in Missouri
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

I have given up on the geo-thermal and will go with a high output natural gas heater. I am leaning towards an icf pool with an Aquashield enclosure. I would like to put the equipment in the basement since I can run all the plumbing under the footer of the foundation easily before I pour the basement floor. Is there a major problem in doing that? And also do I run the PVC lines below the frost line from both the suction and return directly from the pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

You can certainly run your equipment in the basement, but if the pump and equipment are below the pool level, I would be concerned about any leaks especially big leaks. You better have a lot of sump pumps hooked up in your basement when you run into water issues. You'll also have to add more valves for any maintenance since gravity will be working against you.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

How far down will you assume frost level? I live in a very similar climate and it can reach 6 feet here, I know people that have dug 6' pillars for decks and they've still heaved.
    The pump in the basement may be a concern, especially if remotely close to anything electric. Working with your pump could see water spray in the basement, I know my pump handling has caused spray out sometimes, you'll have to account for losing some degree of water.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

You also will probably want an auto cover to help retain the heat in the pool. Wouldn't recommend pump in the basement unless pool surface is below that. Although basement swimming might be the new indoor pool
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

15. Back To Top    #15

The frost line is about 4' and yes the pump will be about 5-9 ' feet from the bottom of the pool. If I do not put the pump in the basement than I guess I would need a heated outdoor room for the equipment since I plan to run year round.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi -- curious if you picked aquashield as a vendor, and if so how is it working out?

Thanks!