What kind of Salt Water Pump would you recommend?

Jun 29, 2011
Dothan, Alabama
We have a above ground Intex, I think the specs are listed in my signature. We just have the standard Krystal Clear pump that comes with it, and we caught heck last summer trying to keep it clean. Every time we turned around we were eat up with algae, and couldn't get it clean. We are wanting to get a Salt Water Pump for our pool for this coming summer. Can anyone suggest a certain salt water pump, and tell me the pros of getting one? I also think this summer we are going to take our water to our local pool store once a week and get them to test it. I tried my best to keep up with what to put in and when, but I think it just flew straight over my head. We spent more time last summer working on the pool than in it, and this year, I want a stress free, trouble free pool that we can just enjoy. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Unless your pumping sea water a standard pump should be fine. It sounds like your SWCG couldn't keep up with the load, in that case use bleach. You may want to get your own test kit, so you don't get pool stored.
It's very important to have CYA in the pool to protect it from being consumed by the sunlight. Pool School is a great place to start. pool-school/

Chlorine kills the nasties, the filter collects the dead nasties.

I read many reviews on Intex SWCG's and wasn't sure if I should get one. I decided to go for it.
I got the Intex SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter. I'm very pleased with it. I'm going to install a Waterway sand filter come spring so I also purchased an Intex Model #CG-56601, its just the generator. Both I found online.
Be sure to get a pre-copper unit, hard to find at times but still out there.

As already mentioned read Pool-School and get a proper Test Kit.

We used bleach last year, but only after we were overrun with algae. Plus, we only had the test strips that you get from Walmart or Lowe's. I read those were useless. Hopefully last summer was the typical trial and error first year pool owner mistakes, and we can get it right this summer. I have about 4 months to get myself up to speed on the chemicals and that is what I plan to do. As much as I have tried to read I think a lot of it like I said has just flown right over my head. I feel like I'm reading a book in a foreign language. It's not that difficult I know, I just don't know why I am so stupid when it comes to it. I think we bought so many chemicals last year it was unreal. My sister in law's mother has the Salt water pump and said she never has had any problem keeping her pool clean. She said she hardly has to do anything with hers. Is it a myth that you won't need as many chemicals with a salt water pump? I know you will need pool salt. Then there was someone that said that all you would need as far as chemicals with the salt water pump is stabilizer? I am going to order the test strips that everyone is talking about on here. I bet that the test strips were a lot of my problem last year. I'm going to read pool school again, and again, and again until I get it. I might need to go to pool kindergarten first. LOL. Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions.

jessikat

A bigger pump would be a good investment for you.

Read http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide it got me off to a good start.
Is it a myth that you won't need as many chemicals with a salt water pump? I know you will need pool salt. Then there was someone that said that all you would need as far as chemicals with the salt water pump is stabilizer?
Running the SWCG. I have only used bleach (to shock at start up), Borax (optional) and some Baking Soda. I did get lazy and purchase liquid stabilizer but you can use the above link to do it cheaper.
I am going to order the test strips that everyone is talking about on here.
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html Be sure and order the Salt test strips and Borate strips if you add Borates.
I might need to go to pool kindergarten first.
LOL, sounds like me. I just read and re-read but you will get it :)

The Pool Calculator is great. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.