Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaner recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaner recommendation

I am getting a pool cleaner for Christmas (I know it is late but oh well) We have a few dealers here that recommend a few and was looking for your opinions on which one is best. I don't have a booster pump. The dealers recommend a Polaris, a barracuda (I think it was), and a shark (don't really remember if that is right). So which of these would be best, yes money is always a consideration, but I also want a good one. Oh I dont remember if its in my signature so here (20x40 pool, 40k gallons)
    36,000 gal. Cartidge filter, IG (inground), it is a gunite pool. Only had pool for 4 months, but it is 7 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cleaner recommendation

Do you have a dedicated sweep line and if so, is ut a suction line of a pressure line?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a dedicated suction line built in, however its not hooked into my system at the moment, (does that make sense) I could do the plumbing myself if that is better?
    36,000 gal. Cartidge filter, IG (inground), it is a gunite pool. Only had pool for 4 months, but it is 7 years old

4. Back To Top    #4

I have to again rec the Aquabot. NJ have had 4 (traded in the old ones) and they get everything was large sticks or limbs. The Dolphin is more expensive but same principle.

FL.....in floor but screened in lanai.
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

5. Back To Top    #5

ThePoolCleaner
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok so the dealers here sell hayward as well as polaris and pentair. I am looking at either a suction side or robotic. The price of robotic almost eliminates that option though. so which of these brands of suction side or potential robotic is best, Speed doesn't particularly matter, I just want something to clean the walls and floor and something if it breaks I can fix fairly cheap. I know it is debatable but thats what I want. I dont have a lot of twigs, no nuts, some leaves dirt, sand. oh and for some reason spiders Which is kinda gross. anyways what of these brands are best. and which model is best.

7. Back To Top    #7

The Hayward Navigator is (IMHO) designed to require frequent parts replacement. It's why I switched to ThePoolCLeaner which you can buy online if there isn't a store selling it locally (where are you located?). I cna't speak to any other cleaners as these are the only two I've worked with. My father-in-law has a Kreepy-Krawly and he's had to do some maintenance on it from time to time but not what I was doing with my Navigator.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am from the Boise Idaho area, I say area because I live about 70 miles away but there is no other city close by.

9. Back To Top    #9

So you need to be a bit more self-reliant than some of us

10. Back To Top    #10

The Pool Cleaner is very well thought of around here, though I don't have one myself. It's fairly inexpensive and can be bought online. I wouldn't restrict yourself to what's available locally.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 The Pool Cleaner. I got one last season and its worked out great for me. I have the suction side one, the one thing I'd suggest is a leaf canister. Mine has a mesh bag inside that catches larger debris and keeps it from getting to the pump or filter. Otherwise, you'll find the pump strainer basket filing up pretty quick. (this probably goes for nearly any suction side cleaner not just the pool cleaner)
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

12. Back To Top    #12

I like my Smartpool Nitro SmartKleen. Price was right and it does a good job. Doesn't need the pump running.
    smart-pool-nitro-smartkleen-universal-review-t35445.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida