CompuPool CPSC sizing and other questions...

Magnew

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Hello:

I am studying my next upgrade, which will be to a SWCG. I have decided on the CompuPool CPSC series, but have a question about sizing and installation.

I know that bigger is better (longer cell life etc), however I'm curious if too large a size will result in overproduction of chlorine, even at the lowest setting?

I have a 9500 gallon pool. Looks like the CPSC16 would be the right size, however the specs say it is for an above-ground pool (mine is not), and it is not even available on Discount Salt Pool.

Would the CPSC24 be a good choice, or would it overproduce at the lowest setting?

One other question regarding installation. The inlet and outlet to the cell housing is through two "union connectors." Are these true union connections, which can be unscrewed to remove then entire cell housing from the pipes? I ask this because I may not have enough room to unscrew and slide just the cell from the end of the housing, when I need to service it.

Thanks for all the help, while I totally overthink this project.

Yes it will but there are a number of ways to alleviate the overproduction. I run my pool pump 24 hours per day. I've got a 22,000 gallon pool and an IC40. I don't have any automation, so I run my IC40 at 10% which is the lowest setting. On average, my FC levels are near 6-7 which are well below shock level, but the recommended levels are more like 3-4. I could certainly run my pump less, but I'd prefer to run it 24 hours per day. You can run your pump less or get automation that regulates the time and percentage of your SWG. I think normally you need a run of approximately 2-3' with an SWG in order for it to run properly or at least with mine. I have a 4' straight run with my SWG in the middle of the run from the heater to the valves which go to the different returns.

My pump runs off a mechanical timer which is in turn controlled by a relay for the solar heater controller. In the summertime, my pump might run 6-8 hours per day. In the wintertime, my solar is turned off and I have my pump set to run three hours per day.

I wonder how I could calculate what my daily chlorine demand would actually be?

Hello,
I've got a CPSC48 on my 17K pool currently my run time is 5 hours (approx 1 turnover) and its set at 30% (first winter). I'm very happy with the unit. In the summer I've been running at 70% and about 8 hours of pump run time. You can adjust in 10% settings 0-100% and the winter mode will cut the setting by 1/2. So I guess you could get 5% of the max. Set it to 10% then winter mode would give you 5% output of the unit. I would suggest at the minimum the CPSC 24 and would check the price difference between the CPSC 24 and 36. The cell life is based upon run time at 100%, the manual states the cell life is rated for 12,500 hours under normal usage.
My cell looks like new still after about 8 months usage.
I don't think the CPSC 24 would be too big for your pool.
I'm also using a T104 Timer that runs the pump and CPSC there is no problem while the pump is priming and CPSC comes on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.