Raypack2100 died

Jun 8, 2011
I have a 1993 RAYPAK 2100 R185 which just died a few months ago. I was told that the PCB model no 601213 has died and costs $400.00 to replace. I have heard leslies is having a heater blowout sale 20% off or free installation from now to new years most inexpensive heater $1,530. should i pay 400 for a circuit board for a 18 year old heater or take advantage of the sale and get a heater now OR wait to the summer to get it and possibly no sale???

Thanks

pool vac guru

reply soon

If it were my decision, I'd go ahead and get the new heater. Buy it now and have it installed by the time it gets swimming season. I wouldn't spend a third of the cost of a new heater on an 18 year old model. Though therotically a heater should last a long time, you don't know how bad the wet side has been abused from balance issues.

Main killer of a heater is rust. Usually starts on the floor of the heater, under the burner. Inspect the heater, if you don't have any rust, i would consider the board. having not seen/inspected the heater, It would be irresponsible to advise a new heater purchase.

Unless you want to spend the money.

You can find those boards online for less than $300.00

I think that that heater had an efficiency of 81 %. If the poster got a new heater that had an efficiency of 88 %, then they would only lose 12 % of the heat vs. 18 % of the heat. An 18 % heat loss is 1.5 times as much heat loss as 12 %.

Also, due to the age, it's likely that the heater has lost efficiency.

Pool Clown said:
Main killer of a heater is rust. Usually starts on the floor of the heater, under the burner. Inspect the heater, if you don't have any rust, i would consider the board. having not seen/inspected the heater, It would be irresponsible to advise a new heater purchase.

Unless you want to spend the money.

You can find those boards online for less than $300.00

There is rust from the bottom to the burner, Its time for it to go!! My pool is about 20k gallons what size of heater do i need I do not know the exact model or serial number of my current heater to get a close guess. also for a new one I was thinking of a mastertemp by pentair or a hayward h series which is a better heater.

Reply soon

Pool vac guru

Make it easy on yourself and get another Raypak for ease of installation. Pretty much everything should line up. If you don't, you will need to cut your pipes and change some of the gas piping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get the BTU rating from your old heater's rating plate (located behind the access panel, stuck to the sheet metal). While a bigger heater is nice, replacing say a 250,000 BTU heater with a 400,000 BTU heater won't work, unless the gas line and the gas meter are big enough!

Yep, missed that one. Your heater is a 185K. If your gas line was sized only up to that size heater, then you are stuck. You may be able to go up one size, but that would be it. Do you know what size your gas line is? And how long of a run is it to the gas meter?

If you are unfamiliar with working with gas, then get it professionally installed. Better to be save then sorry. There are some variables that you may not know about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.