Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypack2100 died

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypack2100 died

I have a 1993 RAYPAK 2100 R185 which just died a few months ago. I was told that the PCB model no 601213 has died and costs $400.00 to replace. I have heard leslies is having a heater blowout sale 20% off or free installation from now to new years most inexpensive heater $1,530. should i pay 400 for a circuit board for a 18 year old heater or take advantage of the sale and get a heater now OR wait to the summer to get it and possibly no sale???

Thanks

pool vac guru

reply soon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raypack2100 died

If it were my decision, I'd go ahead and get the new heater. Buy it now and have it installed by the time it gets swimming season. I wouldn't spend a third of the cost of a new heater on an 18 year old model. Though therotically a heater should last a long time, you don't know how bad the wet side has been abused from balance issues.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Main killer of a heater is rust. Usually starts on the floor of the heater, under the burner. Inspect the heater, if you don't have any rust, i would consider the board. having not seen/inspected the heater, It would be irresponsible to advise a new heater purchase.

Unless you want to spend the money.

You can find those boards online for less than $300.00
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

A new heater will be more efficient, so if you use the heater a lot, that will help offset the cost if you do want to get a new heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    A new heater will be more efficient, so if you use the heater a lot, that will help offset the cost if you do want to get a new heater.
    The efficiency of that heater has not changed much...

6. Back To Top    #6

I think that that heater had an efficiency of 81 %. If the poster got a new heater that had an efficiency of 88 %, then they would only lose 12 % of the heat vs. 18 % of the heat. An 18 % heat loss is 1.5 times as much heat loss as 12 %.

Also, due to the age, it's likely that the heater has lost efficiency.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    Main killer of a heater is rust. Usually starts on the floor of the heater, under the burner. Inspect the heater, if you don't have any rust, i would consider the board. having not seen/inspected the heater, It would be irresponsible to advise a new heater purchase.

Unless you want to spend the money.

You can find those boards online for less than $300.00

There is rust from the bottom to the burner, Its time for it to go!! My pool is about 20k gallons what size of heater do i need I do not know the exact model or serial number of my current heater to get a close guess. also for a new one I was thinking of a mastertemp by pentair or a hayward h series which is a better heater.

Reply soon

Pool vac guru

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pool vac guru
    what size of heater do i need also for a new one I was thinking of a mastertemp by pentair or a hayward h series which is a better heater.

Reply soon

Pool vac guru
    I think you will be happiest with a 400K.

9. Back To Top    #9

You might want to have your gas supply evaluated for capacity, and for cost to increase capacity, if necessary.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Make it easy on yourself and get another Raypak for ease of installation. Pretty much everything should line up. If you don't, you will need to cut your pipes and change some of the gas piping.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You can get the BTU rating from your old heater's rating plate (located behind the access panel, stuck to the sheet metal). While a bigger heater is nice, replacing say a 250,000 BTU heater with a 400,000 BTU heater won't work, unless the gas line and the gas meter are big enough!
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Yep, missed that one. Your heater is a 185K. If your gas line was sized only up to that size heater, then you are stuck. You may be able to go up one size, but that would be it. Do you know what size your gas line is? And how long of a run is it to the gas meter?

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

If you are unfamiliar with working with gas, then get it professionally installed. Better to be save then sorry. There are some variables that you may not know about.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,