Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting Hot tub from 120 to 240V ... help

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting Hot tub from 120 to 240V ... help

I have a Leisure Bay hot tub that is currently running on 120V. Inside the control panel it shows that the wiring can be switched to make it run on 240V. I mainly want to switch to 240 to get the most out of the heater, since it is currently running on 120 I am only getting around 950 Watts (7.8 Amps@120V) out of it. My heater is rated 4KW @ 240V so there is no problem there with the conversion. My main concern is the pump motor which is a 2 speed motor rated for 115V according to the plate on the motor, I'm not sure if I need a new motor or if re-wiring the control panel takes this into account and just supplies 240V to the heater and keeps the motor at 120V.

Can someone take a look at the wiring diagram that I attached and let me know if I can convert it to 240 without getting a new motor? On the diagram it looks like there are 3 steps:
    1. Take the red wires from terminal 1 and move them to terminal 4 on the main input "block"
    2. Move the selector switch on the board from 20A to 50A position
    3. (this one I am unclear about) It shows a wire being added from the 20A fuse to the white (common) wire coming from the pump, is this just if I use a 240V motor?

This is a picture of the wiring diagram for the control panel:

Here are some close ups of the diagrams:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting Hot tub from 120 to 240V ... help

We need a clearer picture of the schematic to tell for sure what needs to happen. Post a clearer pic and we'll be glad to help out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I added some close up pics of the schematic to the first post. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

4. Back To Top    #4

You have eerything correct in your assessment. You only need the wire from the 20A fuse to the pump if it's a 240 volt pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent! Thanks for your help.

6. Back To Top    #6

correct, whether yu have 220 or 110, balboa packs change voltage to the pumps by either putting the white pump wire on neutral (110) or on red AC (220)