Pool bonding!???

Dec 16, 2011
I'm about to build a 20x40..... I have a bit of knowledge on the electrical side of the pool build... As it all seems to be the same as regular wiring in wet areas (gcfi plugs, etc)... What I'm not sure of is the bonding... From what I've read on this site and google here is the plan

Ground wire connected to everything metal close to the pool... Including the metal pool walls, light housings, ladder, and diving board... A ground wire run all the way around the pool about 10 inches from the pool wall... All connected together and run back to the pool pump area....
Is this correct?
Where does this wire connect to when it gets back to the pump?

Also... I don't plan on using rebar in my cement skirt as I will put fiber in the cement to take the place of it... So I won't have rebar to connect it to...
Any thoughts are appreciated!!

I believe that you will need to have either rebar in the concrete, or a bonding grid in or underneath the pour, as per NEC 680.26. I would recommend that you check with your local inspector, or AHJ, who will be happy to let you know what you need to have in your location to comply w/ code.

Ok cool... That is some good reading... As I said... I didn't PLAN on using rebar... But plans change... :) I was just gonna go without it because it would be easier... But after reading the guidelines it seems as though it's necessary!... So I can add the grid style rebar in the cement... Connect it to all metal components and the metal wall... Which, if I read if correctly... The metal wall structure can be used as the "grid"... So if I connect them all I do t see where I could have a problem.. You???

Ohm_Boy said:
I believe that you will need to have either rebar in the concrete, or a bonding grid in or underneath the pour, as per NEC 680.26. I would recommend that you check with your local inspector, or AHJ, who will be happy to let you know what you need to have in your location to comply w/ code.

How would I find this local inspector? Or AHJ??

Even though an inspection may not be required in your area, it's imperative that you follow code for bonding. Welded Wire Mesh will satisfy the bonding requirement for the concrete deck and you can still use the fiber. Or you could forego the mesh and run a #8 awg copper conductor around the pool, 18 to 24" from the wall 4 to 6" below the subgrade. As stated in NEC 680.26(B)(2)(b) 2011 edition.

Even though a #8 awg copper conductor around the pool would satisfy code, I would still want a grid of mesh or rebar to reduce the risk of stray currents causing nuisance shocks to people in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having it and dealing with it are two different things.

Strays can come from different sources. The may come from the power company, the earth itself, pool wiring anywhere, and so on.

You may also, as a last resort, need a sacrificial anode or two, thought this is not commonly needed as the earlier steps handle most situations.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.