Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool bonding!???

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool bonding!???

I'm about to build a 20x40..... I have a bit of knowledge on the electrical side of the pool build... As it all seems to be the same as regular wiring in wet areas (gcfi plugs, etc)... What I'm not sure of is the bonding... From what I've read on this site and google here is the plan

Ground wire connected to everything metal close to the pool... Including the metal pool walls, light housings, ladder, and diving board... A ground wire run all the way around the pool about 10 inches from the pool wall... All connected together and run back to the pool pump area....
    Is this correct?
    Where does this wire connect to when it gets back to the pump?

Also... I don't plan on using rebar in my cement skirt as I will put fiber in the cement to take the place of it... So I won't have rebar to connect it to...
    Any thoughts are appreciated!!
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool bonding!???

I highly recommend using rebar or metal grid in the concrete, and having an electrician do the bonding. The bond wire connects to the pump bonding lug.

pool-bonding-not-so-good-t35431.html

http://www.dom.com/about/safety/pdf/pool_equi_bond.pdf

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe that you will need to have either rebar in the concrete, or a bonding grid in or underneath the pour, as per NEC 680.26. I would recommend that you check with your local inspector, or AHJ, who will be happy to let you know what you need to have in your location to comply w/ code.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok cool... That is some good reading... As I said... I didn't PLAN on using rebar... But plans change... I was just gonna go without it because it would be easier... But after reading the guidelines it seems as though it's necessary!... So I can add the grid style rebar in the cement... Connect it to all metal components and the metal wall... Which, if I read if correctly... The metal wall structure can be used as the "grid"... So if I connect them all I do t see where I could have a problem.. You???
    20x40 vinyl liner IG pool, 20x16 shallow end, deep end is 8ft....Metal walls... 1hp single speed Pentair Pump..... 24" sand filter... build in progress....

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    I believe that you will need to have either rebar in the concrete, or a bonding grid in or underneath the pour, as per NEC 680.26. I would recommend that you check with your local inspector, or AHJ, who will be happy to let you know what you need to have in your location to comply w/ code.
    How would I find this local inspector? Or AHJ??

6. Back To Top    #6

Where will you get your building permit?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

Wasn't gonna....
    I'm way out in the country.... I got one when I built my house... But that's it....

8. Back To Top    #8

Even though an inspection may not be required in your area, it's imperative that you follow code for bonding. Welded Wire Mesh will satisfy the bonding requirement for the concrete deck and you can still use the fiber. Or you could forego the mesh and run a #8 awg copper conductor around the pool, 18 to 24" from the wall 4 to 6" below the subgrade. As stated in NEC 680.26(B)(2)(b) 2011 edition.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Even though a #8 awg copper conductor around the pool would satisfy code, I would still want a grid of mesh or rebar to reduce the risk of stray currents causing nuisance shocks to people in the water.

10. Back To Top    #10

IIRC, the mesh needs to be attached to the main bonding wire using underground rated connectors in several locations and the mats wire tied together.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks guys for all the comments!! I def don't want to have stray voltage!

12. Back To Top    #12

Having it and dealing with it are two different things.

Strays can come from different sources. The may come from the power company, the earth itself, pool wiring anywhere, and so on.

You may also, as a last resort, need a sacrificial anode or two, thought this is not commonly needed as the earlier steps handle most situations.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.