Intelliflo VS 011018 with Compool LX100

Aug 13, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yesterday, I noticed my pool pump (Pentair Whisperflo) wasn't running or getting power. I checked the breaker in the garage and found it had tripped. I reset that but still couldn't start the pump. That's when I noticed the breaker in the Compool LX100 had tripped as well. When I reset that, the pump motor popped and shot a flame out the side. So, I'm dead in the water and have some questions...

First of all, what the heck happened? Was it likely that the pump motor had already gone bad before I blew it up? Or, do I have something else wrong, besides just a bad pump? At this point, I'm assuming the pump is just shot and looking for a replacement.

So, the Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018 pump seems like a great way to go, but I'm not sure how to integrate it with my existing Compool LX100. I know the Intelliflo has a built-in timer so that part of the LX100 wouldn't be needed, but I would like to retain the remote control features. Do I need an IntelliComm II module for that?

Specifically, I'd want to remotely turn the pump on at high speed for cleaning and possibly a slower speed for spa mode. Am I on the right track?

I think there is one open relay. One is currently used for spa mode, one for jets, and one for lights.

I was also wondering if the Intellicomm would work with the VS. The Intelliflo installation guide says it is compatible with the Intellicomm communication center, but it looks like that's not the same thing.

I'm just trying to save a few dollars. I wasn't expecting to replace half of my pool controls right after Christmas.

What is connected to the LX's relay currently?

Pool pump, pool lights (one or two relays?), and a blower? No pool sweep booster?

If you only have one free relay, you would only have 2 presettable speeds. Each speed on an Intellicom requires a relay.

The controls for the U/G fit in the existing enclosure. I don't remember of the top of my head if they use the same spa side controller (if you have one). The indoor controller will use the wires from the old LX, if you have one or you can go wireless.

The Intelliflow needs to be directly wired, unlike a relay controlled single speed pump. There is a 4 wire control cable run to the Easy Touch. Its a very good system and certainly a worthwhile upgrade to what you have now. Turning on the spa from inside can be very convenient. Turning it on to heat up while you change into a swim suit (optional :p ) and then going out to a hot spa without having to wait is very convenient!

Scott

I don't have any spa side controls other than a 4 button remote (http://www.magnoliapools.com/Pentair_QuickTouch_4_Button_Wireless_Remote_p/520148.htm). Only three functions are active. The top button turns on spa mode, the second button activates the spa jets and the third button turns on the pool and spa lights. I hadn't considered the lights could be using two relays.

I'm struggling to justify the cost of upgrading. The extra cost of the Intelliflo would be a no-brainer if that's all it took. But, now it's looking like another $500-$1500 for a new automation system. I'm only planning to be in this house for another two years at most, so I doubt I'll have time to recoup those costs through energy savings.

I can already fire up the spa from inside with the remote. The only things I can't do remotely with my current setup are adjust the water temperature or manually turn on the pump when I want to clean. I'm not sure if either of those are all that important. The temperature has been a set it and forget it deal and I usually clean while the pump is running anyway.

I'm starting to think replacing the motor in my existing pump might make the most sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.