Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Tristar pump overheated and now not working

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Tristar pump overheated and now not working

Ok, I backwashed a spa yesterday, but I forgot to release the air in the filter while I was doing it. Backwashed for 4 mins, rinse for 1, turned to filter, added DE, ran the filter for 2 hours fine. Never released air in the filter. Today, during the scheduled filter time, I noticed the pump was not on but was in fact very hot to the touch. The pump will not turn on... I tried turning offf and on the circuit breaker really hoping that was it, but no.

Did I screw it up by not releasing air on the filter? Is the pump salvageable? If so, what can I do? Unfortunately, having a whole bunch of family coming tomorrow evening for Christmas, and now my spa won't work...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Tristar pump overheated and now not working

It may have over temp protection in the motor. Did you try resetting after the motor cooled off?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    It may have over temp protection in the motor. Did you try resetting after the motor cooled off?
    Apparently the motor has an "automatic thermal overload protector" per the manual which shuts the motor off if power supply drops to prevent overheating, and the motor is supposed to automatically restart after it has cooled. I shut off the pump (via a Goldline control), and tried turning it back on after it cooled off, but nothing. Didn't seem like there was way to reset it, but I don't know.

Am I missing something here, or do I have to get a new motor?
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

It may be one or two of a couple of things. It might be the start capacitor, an under voltage condition, broken down insulation of the coils, something stuck in the impeller, or seized bearings.

The 1st thing to do is check your supply voltage. It should be between 210 and 250 Volts AC. If it's OK, then the start capacitor should be swapped, assuming you can find one.

If the time constraints are such, a new motor and seal set are in order, assuming nothing is stuck in the impeller. If there is something stuck there, replace your pump basket. If it was whole, it would have caught anything that could have jammed the impeller.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    It may be one or two of a couple of things. It might be the start capacitor, an under voltage condition, broken down insulation of the coils, something stuck in the impeller, or seized bearings.

The 1st thing to do is check your supply voltage. It should be between 210 and 250 Volts AC. If it's OK, then the start capacitor should be swapped, assuming you can find one.

If the time constraints are such, a new motor and seal set are in order, assuming nothing is stuck in the impeller. If there is something stuck there, replace your pump basket. If it was whole, it would have caught anything that could have jammed the impeller.

Scott
    Ok, thanks for the tips. I eventually just replaced the motor and seal. Measured the voltage, and it's 230V AC. The impeller looks good. I just want to make sure before I start running it that there is nothing else I needed to check so I don't burn out the new motor too! The original motor was only about 3-4 yrs old

Also, I replaced the motor from a one-speed to a two-speed. I was running the one-speed 2hp about 30-45 mins with good filtering (~2000-2500 gallon spa); the low speed would be 0.33hp. Any idea how long I should run the pump at low speed to get decent filtering? Just need a starting point I guess. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

an hour to two.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

running these pumps without water in them does not hurt them, only hurts the seal.