Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decking footer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Decking footer question

Hey guys I'm about to have 1900 sq ft of decking poured tomorrow and have a question about the area where the new decking will join to my existing porch. They are going to poor the new decking slightly higher than the existing porch so that they can make them all the same material( spray deck) at the same level. My question is this do I need to have a footer and an expansion joint there so that I don't get split from setteling of the pool verses the house? Thanks Steve.

As soon as I can sink my iPad I'll post some pics!
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Decking footer question

Quote Originally Posted by Steve737
    Hey guys I'm about to have 1900 sq ft of decking poured tomorrow and have a question about the area where the new decking will join to my existing porch. They are going to poor the new decking slightly higher than the existing porch so that they can make them all the same material( spray deck) at the same level. My question is this do I need to have a footer and an expansion joint there so that I don't get split from setteling of the pool verses the house? Thanks Steve.

As soon as I can sink my iPad I'll post some pics!
    When they did the patio at my house, they drilled into the existing patio and ran rebar into the holes. They said that will keep both parts of the patio from settling away from each other.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You shouldn't need a footer. Whether you anchor it to the existing porch or not is a choice that has a lot of variables. Putting in an expansion joint is the simplest thing to do.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks I'm going to just do the expansion joint and call it good that seems the easiest way to go. Thanks guys! I'll post some pics of the progress soon. Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.