Booster Pump necessity for Polaris?

stompper3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2011
I decided to dig up the dirt around the pool equipment pad to see how things worked. Looks like the booster pump is exactly what it says. I have a line that states "Polaris suction" that goes directly into the Pentair booster, and then the "Polaris feed" goes into a "T" to meet the pool feed water coming from the filter. It looks as if the booster works to increase the water return to the pool? My system includes a Hayward Superpump and 1 1/2 inch pipe to the pool, no spa or accessories except for the Polaris.

If I put a variable speed pump into the equation in place of the Superpump, is a booster pump necessary? Could I not remove the booster and increase the speed or flow from the new pump when using the Polaris?

If so, I would only need the new VS/VF pump and I could get rid of the booster. What becomes of, or how should I handle the line that is labeled "Polaris Suction"?

Mark stated in another recent thread
Third, you are attempting to use the Intelliflo for something it was not really designed for so it will be difficult to get it to work properly as a booster. Some have had trouble running cleaners off of it when it was used as a main pump let alone a booster. You might be better off trying to sell the second VF and getting a booster or simply skipping the booster all together and try to run the cleaner off of the main pump.

If your cleaner was designed for a booster, then it needs a booster. There are models that will work on return pressure, so you could switch over to one of those if you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.