automatic pool cover strength?

Earl42

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2011
Wichita, KS
We have an electric retracting blue pool cover with silver rails that run along side the pool. How strong are these? Can my 3 year old safely ride his trike around the pool with mom or dad in earshot? He knows to stay away, but you never know. He could fall/crash...etc. and end up on the pool cover. Thoughts? Suggestions? any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

The cover should be fine with a child falling on it occasionally, but the trike poses much more of a risk. It is possible for some part on the trike to puncture the cover if it falls in just the wrong way.

As a more general rule, most automatic covers are not safety covers, i.e. they are not really designed to hold up significant weight. They will in most cases be fine, but they can be damaged depending on exactly what happens.

The strength TOTALLY depends on how old it is. How many years has it been degrading in the hot sun? I've seen some that are so stiff and un-plyable that i wouldn't set foot on it fearing my foot would go right through it. If it's nice and new, it's like being on a giant waterbed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.