Diy pool!!

Dec 16, 2011
Ok so I've decided to build my own pool... And I just want any info, tips, suggestions you have if anyone here has done it or wishes they could change anything and I have a few questions... But here is the plan... Online kit vinyl liner type... 20x40... 8ft deep end with diving board...
I am an extreme diy'er... I have quite a bit of knowledge as far as building.., (ie. I built my whole house alone.... From digging the footings by hand, plumbing, electrical and cement) no problems yet, been 6 yrs) ;)... The only part I plan on hiring out is the dig... My uncle is a septic system installer and has been for 20 years... So he'll most likely get the job....
The entire kit with everything we want added is roughly 8K... I figured I should be able to get it done for 11K....
Is that realistic or am I missing something???
Questions...
Is one light enough to see the whole pool well at night?
Should I start out with the SWG?

Any info is very helpful... Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

Like any project, you will almost NEVER figure enough money....it just seems to be the nature of things.

Does the 8k include pump. filter, swg, etc?

I do not understand what you mean by "starting with the SWG" Generally, it is one of the last decisions needed.

One 500w light in a large 20x40 pool is BARELY adequate. I would consider two.

Ok great!! Thanks!! I'll add another light... What I meant by starting with a SWG is that some people have recommended that I do just regular chlorine additions and get the chemistry right, and maintain it that way for a few months.... Then add the SWG?? Or should I start off with it up and running as soon as the pool is ready?
The 8K is for everything but the SWG.... I'd have to add that if I choose to... I'll take recommendations for some if you have one in mind? Best bang for the buck?
I'll also add another light... Which is $400...
Thanks!!

Don't forget the fence, backfill around pool,plumbing,electrical parts(sub-panel,breakers,wire,bonding wire). I just put one in this past summer. Everything adds up fast. Upgrade to a larger filter and two speed pump. I have a 18x36 and wish i had two lights. I spent the extra money on a LED color changing light and the wife/kids love it. The little stuff sneaks up on you. Spend a little extra on more concrete also, it will be worth it in the end.

WhoDat? said:
Spend extra on more concrete where? In the footing? Bottom? Skirting around the pool??

Decking.

3ft is barely adequate on the back side for cleaning. I'd go a minimum of 4ft everywhere, with at least 6ft behind the diving board and near the steps and ladder. 12ft if you plan for any lounge chairs.

We had a 20'x40' put in last fall that sounds a lot like what you are planning on doing. After watching it being built I wish I would have done it myself and saved several $$$. If you can build a house a pool is easy. We have one LED color changing light, at first it didn't seem like enough but it really is. It is more of a softer light though, if you want a super bright underwater light get two, one LED for soft color changing and a 500w to make it shine. Make your concrete decking as large as you can, and run extra electric for some plugins.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By extra electric what do you mean? Extra outlets? For what types of things?? In my plans I have a 220V wire which is already hooked up to my breaker box and is in the attic shut off at the moment... (I actually have 3 of those wires in my attic shut off).... Anyway.. I plan on running one down the wall in a conduit and putting an outlet for the pump... Then I was going to run a regular 110 in another conduit down my wall and put a regular gcfi outlet... Should I run more?

People have found adding extra outlets around the pool makes things easier if you want to add an outdoor kitchen later, hook up a music or tv system, bring out a blender for a party ect...

Ohhh ok I see... I was thinking extra outlets around the pump area... But now I understand what your saying... I think ill be ok there given the close proximity to the house and garage ... There's probably 4 outlets within 2-30 feet of the pool...
How far from the pool can the pump be? As it's planned now... We are looking at around around 30 feet from the pool if you'd measure in a diagonal line from the pool to the pump... However the actual plumbing will have to go around a deck.... So a more realistic measurement is probably 50-60 feet to get from pool to pump... To far?

I built my own and would not do it again. However I did not have a backhoe operator in the family. I installed fiber optic lighting that lights up the coping around the pool and it syncs with the jazz light so the pool light and the coping light change color together. Also consider where you would like to turn you pool lights on from. My neighbor had his pool built and the contractor put the switch to turn on the pool light at the pump pad which was on the other side of the pool, from the house. So in order to turn the pool lights on/off he had to walk out to the pool equipment. I wired mine so that the switch was by the back door. Just a suggestion.

jasonknox said:
I built my own and would not do it again. However I did not have a backhoe operator in the family. I installed fiber optic lighting that lights up the coping around the pool and it syncs with the jazz light so the pool light and the coping light change color together. Also consider where you would like to turn you pool lights on from. My neighbor had his pool built and the contractor put the switch to turn on the pool light at the pump pad which was on the other side of the pool, from the house. So in order to turn the pool lights on/off he had to walk out to the pool equipment. I wired mine so that the switch was by the back door. Just a suggestion.

So why not do it again?? Was it because if the dig? Or something else? What went wrong? As far as the lights... I planned on putting the light switch in the house by the back door... Which would be the access door for the pool...

And thanks for the info on the distances... I won't worry about it...
Is a 1hp Jandy pump enough?? Or should I go bigger? Or with the 1hp hayward?

I just finished mine which is exactly what you are looking at. I did everything my self and without the concrete I am around 12k. I hope to have everything completed for just under 20k. My kit was around 8k also.

fireman23 said:
I just finished mine which is exactly what you are looking at. I did everything my self and without the concrete I am around 12k. I hope to have everything completed for just under 20k. My kit was around 8k also.

Ok so elabotate a little if you can... Give me a rough break down.... Why 20K? Did you hire out some parts of the build?...
If I'm looking at 8K for the kit... Pump, light, liner, walls, skimmers, steps, ladders, diving board... Everything.... If I figure $500 for 1.5 inch pipe, and $2500 in cement... What am I missing? I've got the electrical done... And the parts of it that aren't done I'll do myself... So maybe I can add another $200 in electrical miscellaneous.... Oh and if I hire out the dig from my family member... He will charge me $500 for a days work, diesel and his excavator......
I really appreciate all the responses!! Keep them coming!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.