Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking Nautilus DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking Nautilus DE filter

I have a old (1987) Nautilus Pac-Fab stanless steel DE filter leaking in the middle where the 2 halves join. Any suggestions in addition to replacing the o-ring? And what is the proper lube - I watched a pool guy use petroleum jelly but I didn't think that was right.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Leaking Nautilus DE filter

silicon pool lube like Jacks Magic is what you want to use. Petroleum Jelly will ruin the o-ring.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the lube tip.

The pool guy said that the stainless rim where the 2 halves join can become pitted and the tank may leak and that there would be no solution other than replacement of the whole filter. Has anyone experiemnced this and does that diagnosis sound feasible?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hillsborough, NC

Short of welding there's no great solution, and usually one pinhole means many more to follow so replacement makes more sense at that point.

5. Back To Top    #5

Spring, TX

I am having this same issue right now. What I have done until I can replace it is get some silicone sealant and put all along the outside. I just keep an eye on it and reseal as ncessary until I want to get it replaced.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits