How will a pool cover work on this pool?

Aug 26, 2011
Please see the attached pictures. My pool is not the normal pool where there is a single level deck around the pool. I am getting a heater for my pool but would like to use a solar cover to cut down on costs. Immediately thought that a solar cover on a reel would be my solution but when looking at the pool I realized there would be no way to line the reel up on one side making it easier to pull the cover on and off the pool thanks to the steps. Any suggestions for a solution? Thanks!

[attachment=2:3diy7crf]House Pool 1.jpg[/attachment:3diy7crf]

[attachment=1:3diy7crf]House Pool 2.jpg[/attachment:3diy7crf]

[attachment=0:3diy7crf]House Pool 3.jpg[/attachment:3diy7crf]

Attachments

• House Pool 1.jpg
    House Pool 1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 301
  • House Pool 2.jpg
    House Pool 2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 301
  • House Pool 3.jpg
    House Pool 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 301
My suggestion would be to do what I do with my pool. I got a cover that spanned the entire pool surface and cut it in 3 different pieces. After that each piece is easy to handle and I simply remove, fold and store. It is even easier for you since there won't be debris in your covers so no cleaning is necessary when removing. We have some wind in MD during different times, but I find even with 3 pieces, I don't usually have problems with my 3 separate covers. You certainly don't have that problem either with an enclosed porch.

Yes, with the covered porch, the screen and the fence we get very little wind back there.

3 pieces sounds like it would be difficult to get into place each time (especially the middle piece). Is there a secret for making it easier (string)?

I have also thought about maybe using a Liquid Pool Cover (EcoSavr). Not sure how many days a dose is good for. My pool is very calm at night, which I have heard is important for liquid pool covers. Since our high's are typically in the 70's most of my heat loss will be occurring at night.

Has anyone had any experience with these liquid pool covers and are they required to be added to the pool daily?

Thanks

Hi Dave

I can confirm this is a reasonable comment and one that I can help with.
To be able to measure the performance of Heatsavr I would recommend you take energy reading which will allow you to measure performance.
Evaporation is energy and if this is suppressed you have to make a saving, (over 24 hrs, not just when the cover is on)
Is your pool heated and can you measure energy used.
Apart from the savings generated most people using Heatsavr are happy to be able to enjoy looking at the pool instead of looking at a traditional cover.

I have plenty of information (attachments I can send you) [email protected]

Thought I would update this thread a bit. We used a liquid pool cover last winter. I'm sure it helped a little bit, but the draw backs.. IMO aren't worth it. I had two main problems from this stuff. 1. it made my pool deck extremely slippery. 2. My pool filter which was less than a year old was clogged. I rinsed it, I soaked it and it still was clogged. I had to buy a new one.

Bama Rambler said:
Your experience kinda mimics what we've heard in the past. If it works at all it doesn't work well and it tends to gunk up things.

Of course when I went to the pool store and told them I needed a new filter, which I suspected was because of the liquid cover... they told me there's no way it could have caused that issue and it must have been something else. Pfffffft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, updating this just a bit more......

If you still want the cover and reel, couldn't you build a "stand" for the low part of the reel to sit on? If the reel is too heavy to lift off that "stand" and 2-wheel it back onto the upper deck, you could possibly build a ramp that would allow you to roll your reel into a level position at one end, then store the "ramp" behind the reel when not in use.

duraleigh said:
Well, updating this just a bit more......

If you still want the cover and reel, couldn't you build a "stand" for the low part of the reel to sit on? If the reel is too heavy to lift off that "stand" and 2-wheel it back onto the upper deck, you could possibly build a ramp that would allow you to roll your reel into a level position at one end, then store the "ramp" behind the reel when not in use.

Thanks or the suggestion. I don't heat it all winter, so we'll opt not to deal with the hassle of a cover. If the temp outside is lower than 70 the kids won't swim anyhow.... spoiled.

Yes, it was a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.