Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CSI less than -.3 for the first time

1. Back To Top    #1

CSI less than -.3 for the first time

Hi,

This is my first post since introducing myself. Again, thanks for the great resource.

FC 5.5
    CC 0
    CYA 55
    pH 7.5 or 7.6
    TA 110
    CH 220
    Temp 50F

For the first time since I've been maintaining this pool (just about 3 months, it's a new build), the CSI has dropped to -.33, and the pool calculator gives me a note saying that this could be bad for the plaster.

If I add calcium to get the CH up to 350, that improves things, but the CSI would still not be 0; to get to 0, the pool calculator says I would need to increase the pH a bit as well. I haven't yet intentionally increased the pH because initially the pool was doing that by itself, and I continually needed to add MA to reduce the pH. But I haven't had to add MA for over a month, the pH seems to be very stable now, parked at 7.5 or 7.6.

So, should I just add calcium and call it quits, or should I mess with the pH as well?

(BTW, my fill water has a CH of 140, and a pH of 8.2 if that's of interest, but there is essentially no activity in the pool right now, so there's no splash out to speak of, and I have an automatic cover, so there's pretty much no rain being added either).

Thanks,
    Don
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CSI less than -.3 for the first time

I wouldn't do anything to that pool, myself.

If it's fairly new, your Calcium will go up all by itself. Everything's just slowed down because of the cold water.

There's no real danger to the plaster until you get to +/- .6 anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Richard. I'll do nothing except keep an eye on it for now.

Don
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you really want some calcium, come and get some of my water

But I agree, don't add anything. CH is going to go up over time.

I'd keep an eye on the TA. It looks like it's getting high, although I read the ABCs page and there can be reasons to have it that high. Try playing in the pool calculator to see what happens with your balance if TA is lowered.
    Southern CA 30K gal Pebble Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed Hayward DE6020 filter Paramount Debris Canister Goldline/Hayward AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) Sense & Dispense (acid) Paramount Debris Canister Pentair IntelliBrite 5G and GloBrite Inter-Fab G-Force slide Jandy deck jets Lion head spout Dolphin Premier Cleaner Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Posting only to ditto Richard's and Red's good advice......your pool is fine. All of your pertinent parameters are within the guidelines suggested on the forum.

You don't say, but I suspect your water is pretty darn clear, too.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School