Pool Came With a Hayward Vac XL - This Thing Sucks

Aug 26, 2011
This Vac is old, it came with the house when we bought it a couple months ago. Never have had an automatic pool vac. I;m not sure if this vac is just a piece of junk or needs to be repaired. It constantly seems to work its way to the drain on the deep end and gets stuck there. Never seems to go anywhere else but back to the drain when I move it to the shallow end.

It'd be great if it's just operator error. Advice?

Susa's suggestion is a good one - if you're running suction from the main drain while the cleaner is running it makes sense that it would get pulled to that area. In all honesty wear that thing out and replace it with a poolverneugen the pool cleaner. Made in America out of parts not designed to wear out.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure how old this thing is. Probably could take it to Pinch-A-Penny and have them tune it up. After doing some reading, I think the hoses need to be replaced since they have been coiled. I was pretty shocked how spendy the hoses can be for this thing. I'll give your advice a shot. Thanks! :goodjob:

I agree with carlscan26. If you can shut off the main drain while operating the cleaner. I noticed, that if I don't, the cleaner can get stuck on the drain. Also, if you have multiple other suction sources (skimmers, cleaner port, etc...) you may need to diminish or close them to get the suction you need. The cleaner I have uses alot more suction that I'd initially expected, I have divert most of the suction to it.

As I understand it some cleaners tend to spend more time in the deep end. I've had no complains with my poolverneugen "The Pool Cleaner", it seems to do a great job in both the deep and shallow ends. In fairness, I've not owned any other cleaner, so I can't say how others perform.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.