Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Came With a Hayward Vac XL - This Thing Sucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Came With a Hayward Vac XL - This Thing Sucks

This Vac is old, it came with the house when we bought it a couple months ago. Never have had an automatic pool vac. I;m not sure if this vac is just a piece of junk or needs to be repaired. It constantly seems to work its way to the drain on the deep end and gets stuck there. Never seems to go anywhere else but back to the drain when I move it to the shallow end.

It'd be great if it's just operator error. Advice?
    pool products ~ swimming pool pumps

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Came With a Hayward Vac XL - This Thing Sucks

adjust the suction pressure away from drain to skimmer on surface - or - replace the pods to elevate the unit from pool surface

3. Back To Top    #3

Susa's suggestion is a good one - if you're running suction from the main drain while the cleaner is running it makes sense that it would get pulled to that area. In all honesty wear that thing out and replace it with a poolverneugen the pool cleaner. Made in America out of parts not designed to wear out.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Not sure how old this thing is. Probably could take it to Pinch-A-Penny and have them tune it up. After doing some reading, I think the hoses need to be replaced since they have been coiled. I was pretty shocked how spendy the hoses can be for this thing. I'll give your advice a shot. Thanks!
    pool products ~ swimming pool pumps

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Usually, if they stay in the deep end,
    and won't crawl up to the shallow end,
    you are looking at a low flow situation:

Check for flow,
    clean baskets & filter, etc...

-B.
    18,000 gallon in ground, plaster
    340 sq ft cartridge filter
    Jandy variable-speed 2 HP pump
    completed 6/29/12

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with carlscan26. If you can shut off the main drain while operating the cleaner. I noticed, that if I don't, the cleaner can get stuck on the drain. Also, if you have multiple other suction sources (skimmers, cleaner port, etc...) you may need to diminish or close them to get the suction you need. The cleaner I have uses alot more suction that I'd initially expected, I have divert most of the suction to it.

As I understand it some cleaners tend to spend more time in the deep end. I've had no complains with my poolverneugen "The Pool Cleaner", it seems to do a great job in both the deep and shallow ends. In fairness, I've not owned any other cleaner, so I can't say how others perform.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Were you not aware that vacuums are supposed to suck?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit