Concerned about our light placement

Sep 27, 2010
After the gunite was blown and I met with the PB, he pointed out where the pool light was placed. I'm VERY upset to find that it points directly at the back of the house! Our windows all look out directly onto the pool area and I feel like this is going to be an eyesore rather than an accent. He explained that due to the freeform shape of the pool, this was the best location over the opposite (shallow) end or the side facing the waterfall. Am I over-reacting?

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of light do you have? It might not be too bad for an LED.

You for sure don't want it in the shallow end.

I personally don't use my pool light for anything other than clean-up. I consider it more of a safety feature rather than something I use for swimming. It draws bugs like crazy, so I prefer tiki-torches for lighting when we are swimming at night.

It's a design oversight by the pool builder for sure, and it would be difficult to fix. Your pool builder isn't going to want to do it, but you may be able to push them on it. What's the real long term damage if left undone? If it were my pool it wouldn't be a big deal because the lights are pretty but I don't use them that much. I'm in the same camp with JohnT. They more of a utility.

But... you aren't married to the 500W incandescent light at this point. You could change it out to a colored LED and this may help with brightness control.

Would the LED light throw less of a glare if we went that route?
This is my 1st pool so I have no idea of what to expect, I just don't want the focus of our serene pool area to be a spotlight shining at the window when I'm looking in that direction. But from what you both are saying it may not be as big a deal as I'm afraid of. Are the lights not in use on a regular basis? The PB has been great to work with so far; tomorrow we're going to talk about possible options so we'll see what he suggests.

We sometimes have parties after dark and have the pool lights on regardles if it is a swimming party or not.

We intentionally faced the lighting AWAY from the area where we congegate to avoid the glare that concerns you. I would not be at all happy if the lights faced towards us.

Not sure on the fit, but I imagine you would need to stay with the same brand. Your pool builder would know more. I had Pentair halogen lights and I replaced them with the Pentair 5g LED lights when my old ones failed. As far as I know there are no replaceable parts on the LED as they are supposed to be long life fixtures. I did find my LED lights online for 1/2 the price a pool company wanted to charge me just for the parts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have an led in our pool it doesnot point directly at the house but kinda at an angle. They installed a 500w light while waiting for the led and it is a markedly difference in the glare. The led looks great as compared to the incandescent light. I would not do the dimmer, but would go with the led, if it were me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.