Clogged Skimmer Line - Help!

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey folks, I've got a clogged skimmer line and could use some advice. I have had "greatly reduced flow" from the pool skimmer to the pump for a few weeks. Now I'm completely clogged. I've tried a couple of things

1. Drain King to push obstruction back into the pool. Limited success at best. It partially opens the line, but the minute I try to vaccuum it completely clogs.

2. I tried a small plumbers snake snake but it can't make the 90 degree corners.

I'm getting the name of someone I can call for help, but trying to avoid cost unless absolutely necessary. Can anyone help me think of add'l things I can try myself? thx, SR

Use the hose without the Drain King. The extra flow could help move the object into the skimmer. The Drain King has fairly low flow. It is designed to build up pressure to remove a clog rather than flow to carry an object out of the pipe.

You can hold it in with a rag wrapped around it, or make an adapter to keep yourself dry.

Another option would be a shop vac from the skimmer end, but you might need to drain some water to do that.

A more drastic option might be to temporarily plumb the output of your pump to flow into the skimmer line toward the pool. That would be the ultimate flow, but could cause pump issues if you let it run too long without any flow.

JohnT said:
Use the hose without the Drain King. The extra flow could help move the object into the skimmer. The Drain King has fairly low flow. It is designed to build up pressure to remove a clog rather than flow to carry an object out of the pipe.

You can hold it in with a rag wrapped around it, or make an adapter to keep yourself dry.

Another option would be a shop vac from the skimmer end, but you might need to drain some water to do that.

A more drastic option might be to temporarily plumb the output of your pump to flow into the skimmer line toward the pool. That would be the ultimate flow, but could cause pump issues if you let it run too long without any flow.

I guess your suggesting drain the pool below the skimmer line and plug the pump side basket to create the vaccuum?

Can you think of something I could use as a smaller snake that could make those 90 degree turns? thx, SR

Slowride said:
I guess your suggesting drain the pool below the skimmer line and plug the pump side basket to create the vaccuum?

Can you think of something I could use as a smaller snake that could make those 90 degree turns? thx, SR

No, you want air flow thrugh the line from the end to move the object(s).

Have you tried something like this: http://homedepot.digby.com/homedepot/pr ... Drum+Auger

I have a 50' version but the smaller diameter cool should make it through the turns just fine. Go easy on the speed too. Can you run the snake from both ends?

Alternately, since the drain king seems to open up the line maybe use that first and then the hose without the DK to flush out the line?

carlscan26 said:
Have you tried something like this: http://homedepot.digby.com/homedepot/pr ... Drum+Auger

I have a 50' version but the smaller diameter cool should make it through the turns just fine. Go easy on the speed too. Can you run the snake from both ends?

Alternately, since the drain king seems to open up the line maybe use that first and then the hose without the DK to flush out the line?

Tried 2. Couldn't find one small enough to make the turns. Have you actually used one on your pool plumbing? If so, what size? thx, SR

Slowride said:
Tried 2. Couldn't find one small enough to make the turns. Have you actually used one on your pool plumbing? If so, what size? thx, SR

I haven't. What size pipe do you have? I would think that a 1/4" snake should be able to make it through a 1/5" pipe 90's and all...Where are you inserting it from?

when unclogging a line you always want to try to remove the clog in reverse instead of trying to push the clog farther in. first we try the cyclone vac forcing air. if that doesnt work we use our cleaning pumps exhaust to flush it out in reverse (1hp superpump pump). if that doesn't work we use the gas pumps exhaust (10k gallon/hr 2" exhaust). if that doesn't work we use a sewer snake. if that doesn't work we dig

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.