Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clogged Skimmer Line - Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Clogged Skimmer Line - Help!

Hey folks, I've got a clogged skimmer line and could use some advice. I have had "greatly reduced flow" from the pool skimmer to the pump for a few weeks. Now I'm completely clogged. I've tried a couple of things

1. Drain King to push obstruction back into the pool. Limited success at best. It partially opens the line, but the minute I try to vaccuum it completely clogs.

2. I tried a small plumbers snake snake but it can't make the 90 degree corners.

I'm getting the name of someone I can call for help, but trying to avoid cost unless absolutely necessary. Can anyone help me think of add'l things I can try myself? thx, SR

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clogged Skimmer Line - Help!

Use the hose without the Drain King. The extra flow could help move the object into the skimmer. The Drain King has fairly low flow. It is designed to build up pressure to remove a clog rather than flow to carry an object out of the pipe.

You can hold it in with a rag wrapped around it, or make an adapter to keep yourself dry.

Another option would be a shop vac from the skimmer end, but you might need to drain some water to do that.

A more drastic option might be to temporarily plumb the output of your pump to flow into the skimmer line toward the pool. That would be the ultimate flow, but could cause pump issues if you let it run too long without any flow.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Use the hose without the Drain King. The extra flow could help move the object into the skimmer. The Drain King has fairly low flow. It is designed to build up pressure to remove a clog rather than flow to carry an object out of the pipe.

You can hold it in with a rag wrapped around it, or make an adapter to keep yourself dry.

Another option would be a shop vac from the skimmer end, but you might need to drain some water to do that.

A more drastic option might be to temporarily plumb the output of your pump to flow into the skimmer line toward the pool. That would be the ultimate flow, but could cause pump issues if you let it run too long without any flow.

I guess your suggesting drain the pool below the skimmer line and plug the pump side basket to create the vaccuum?

Can you think of something I could use as a smaller snake that could make those 90 degree turns? thx, SR

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Slowride

I guess your suggesting drain the pool below the skimmer line and plug the pump side basket to create the vaccuum?

Can you think of something I could use as a smaller snake that could make those 90 degree turns? thx, SR
    No, you want air flow thrugh the line from the end to move the object(s).
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you tried something like this: http://homedepot.digby.com/homedepot/pr ... Drum+Auger

I have a 50' version but the smaller diameter cool should make it through the turns just fine. Go easy on the speed too. Can you run the snake from both ends?

Alternately, since the drain king seems to open up the line maybe use that first and then the hose without the DK to flush out the line?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    Have you tried something like this: http://homedepot.digby.com/homedepot/pr ... Drum+Auger

I have a 50' version but the smaller diameter cool should make it through the turns just fine. Go easy on the speed too. Can you run the snake from both ends?

Alternately, since the drain king seems to open up the line maybe use that first and then the hose without the DK to flush out the line?

Tried 2. Couldn't find one small enough to make the turns. Have you actually used one on your pool plumbing? If so, what size? thx, SR

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Slowride

Tried 2. Couldn't find one small enough to make the turns. Have you actually used one on your pool plumbing? If so, what size? thx, SR
    I haven't. What size pipe do you have? I would think that a 1/4" snake should be able to make it through a 1/5" pipe 90's and all...Where are you inserting it from?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

when unclogging a line you always want to try to remove the clog in reverse instead of trying to push the clog farther in. first we try the cyclone vac forcing air. if that doesnt work we use our cleaning pumps exhaust to flush it out in reverse (1hp superpump pump). if that doesn't work we use the gas pumps exhaust (10k gallon/hr 2" exhaust). if that doesn't work we use a sewer snake. if that doesn't work we dig

-Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Is it flex pipe or solid pvc. Flex could be collapsing under suction.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics