Intellichlor IW40 - No Flow

May 6, 2011
Newbie to pool ownership and this board. Flow led is solid red indicating no flow. Checked the blades and they are virtually spotless. Power light is green, cell light is blank, life light is green. Salt level lights alternate blinking between check salt and low salt. Pool temp is about 45 degrees. I'm fairly certain the flow light should be green. Did I mention I was a newbie? All this stuff is greek to me. Can someone point me in the right direction of what I need to do to get flow? Thank you. [attachment=1:11tikzj6]photo2.JPG[/attachment:11tikzj6] [attachment=0:11tikzj6]photo1.JPG[/attachment:11tikzj6]

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 181
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 152
So I am also a newbie, but are you sure you have the pump on? Also, you might make sure any valves that divert water are bringing your pump flow through the salt water generator. If it turns out that the pump is not on, but the SWG is on you should consider having it rewired so that the SWG is not on unless the pump is on. Hope this helps!

Yes, the photos were taken with the pump on. There is a zero pressure reading on the air relief valve which I assume is because there is no flow. Could cold weather conditions be the cause? Shouldn't the light still be green?

I just tried opening the manual air relief valve on my filter and starting the pump. No water stream shot out of it which I assume is because there is no flow and no pressure. Am I on the right track?

I had a similar problem with "no flow" on the IC40. I checked the salt cell and mine too was clean and clear. I noticed that my water level had dropped a few inches. Added enough water to return it to a level above the middle of the skimmer. Problem went away.

Kimbovi said:
I just tried opening the manual air relief valve on my filter and starting the pump. No water stream shot out of it which I assume is because there is no flow and no pressure. Am I on the right track?
Then for some reason the pump is not pumping water. And the pool is full of water. Do you have a valve closed on the inlet side of the pump?

Have you recently opened your pump to empty the basket? Sometimes in reassembling, the lid o-ring becomes dislodged, or some debris gets in between the o-ring and the lid, or the o-ring and the groove, and will prevent the pump from achieving prime. It doesn't take much. I've seen a small leaf, the size of a pea, kill the systems prime!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kimbovi said:
Power light is green, cell light is blank, life light is green. Salt level lights alternate blinking between check salt and low salt. Pool temp is about 45 degrees.

I have several inputs for your comment above:

1) manually open all your valves, and return them to their previous position. This is to create a 'rapid current' so that the flow sensor of IC40 can recalibrate itself, especially at a cold temperature.
2) did you check the salt level? if low salt, then IC40 is disable. (The photos don't show IC40 produces any chlorine.)
3) what is the pump speed (rpm)? if rpm is set at a slow speed, then IC40 might not detect the flow.

Hope these help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.