Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bone-in pork Butts

1. Back To Top    #1

Bone-in pork Butts

Had an early xmas party....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bone-in pork Butts

MMMM..... that is my single favorite cut of meat for smoking. How did you cook yours? Looks glorious...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Freakin' beautiful. Now that's 1000 times better than yet-another-turkey.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

4. Back To Top    #4

They were brined for a few hours in sugar, vinegar and salt ice bath, then dry rubbed. Then cooked at 225 for 14-16 hours to an internal temp of 195 degrees.

thanks!
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you FTC them for at least an hour after you pulled them off the smoker? If not try it next time. Oh and FTC stands for Foil, Towel, Cooler. Wrap them puppies in tin foil, then in a towel then drop em in a cooler for at least an hour. Makes em even more tender. Also if your butts ever get done earlier than expected you can keep em FTC'd for up to around 6 hours before you need to pull em.

6. Back To Top    #6

Love them butts

I agree the FTC works pretty good, but it can ruin the bark. Another option if you have a tough butt (gets to ~190F and bone doesn't twist with no resistance), foil it (wrap in foil with some apple juice and put it back on the smoker) and let it go for 1/2 hour or so, then finish them bare so that the bark gets hardened up again.

Oh, one more thing, I like small butts It gives more bark per bite (volume)

Okay, now I'm hungry again...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.