Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump Failure Survey

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Failure Survey

This may be a futile exercise, but I am attempting to get to the bottom of why many PBs and techs have such a poor opinion about Hayward pumps. While, I could go through all of the old posts to collect data, I am hoping to get enough responses to this post in order to draw at least some conclusions. So if you have ever had a pump failure of any kind and from any manufacture (not just Hayward), please answer the following questions:

1) Pump make and model.
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc)
    4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation

For those "In The Industry" and have collected actual data, please note any and all pumps that you have come across in your line of work but please stick to the facts above. Anecdotal evidence is interesting but it is very difficult to quantify in any meaningful way.

Thanks in advance to all who participate.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Failure Survey

Hi, I'll answer within your post.

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    This may be a futile exercise, but I am attempting to get to the bottom of why many PBs and techs have such a poor opinion about Hayward pumps. While, I could go through all of the old posts to collect data, I am hoping to get enough responses to this post in order to draw at least some conclusions. So if you have ever had a pump failure of any kind and from any manufacture (not just Hayward), please answer the following questions:

1) Pump make and model. Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp single speed
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure5 years
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc)bottom of casing rusted through to motor
    4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5") 1.5"
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed installation on plastic pump/filter base

For those "In The Industry" and have collected actual data, please note any and all pumps that you have come across in your line of work but please stick to the facts above. Anecdotal evidence is interesting but it is very difficult to quantify in any meaningful way.

TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your help! Hopefully others will add their experience.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

1) Pump make and model.

Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp

Unknown - pool was built in 1987. We bought the house in 2007. Pump motor failed 4/2011

Motor failed - replaced - pump still going strong

1.5"

Partially sheltered from sunlight by large bush, but no structure over pump, so it's exposed to the elements
    13K gal - IG gunite/plaster - 1 1/2 HP pump - 300lb. sand filter - SWCG
    Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

1) Pump make and model. 1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed (has speed switch built in)
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure 6 months
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Very noisy on low speed (sounds like a diesel engine idling) and leaking between pump and motor at high speed
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed

Note that I am in the process of having it replaced under warranty

18x36 Vinyl Pool. Superpump2 2 speed motor. Sand Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

1) Pump make and model.
    2 different Hayward SuperPumps
    unknown on first, about 7 years on the second
    1st - pump just quit running. 2nd - outside case of motor rusted out, bearings failed
    1.5 inches
    exposed.

Currently using a Pentair SuperFlo High effeincy 1.5 HP single speed. I have a 28 year old (very low hours) PowerFlo II that I salvaged from a bathtub /spa (currently without a strainer assembly) that I used for 2 weeks last summer between when the SuperPump failed and I got the SuperFlo installed.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

1) Pump make and model.Sta-Rite 1HP
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure26
    3) Reason for pump failure.Noisy motor bearings and rusted motor housing(could see the windings!)
    4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")2"
    5) Sheltered or exposed installationSheltered in pumphouse
    The wet end is still going strong, I replaced the motor with a 2-speed to help save on the electric bill. Sorry, I can't read the model number, the plate on the pump housing is corroded too badly.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

8. Back To Top    #8

1) Pump make and model. Pentair Dynamo, 1½hp
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure. 1 month
    3) Reason for pump failure (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc). Bad Capacitor
    4) Plumbing size (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5"). 1½" Rigid
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation. Exposed

This was a case of infant mortality. The entire pump was replaced under warranty. Two years later, no issues.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

1 - Hayward Super 2, 1 hp (1.5 thp)
    2 - 6 years
    3 - wet end housing cracked, slow leak that ruined the motor
    4 - 2" rigid
    5 - exposed

I wouldn't call this a premature failure, and I think it was due to a sloppy installation. I think too much T-tape was used and it was screwed in too tight, which cracked the plastic.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super 2.
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure 7 years
    3) Reason for pump failure. Extended immersion (3 days) due to Hurricane Floyd flooding/power failure.
    4) Plumbing size 1.5 inches
    5) Sheltered installation

Probably not helpful but wanted to show my support. Replacement motor had 5 years when retired.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks to everyone's support! Any and all data is welcomed so keep it coming. With 27000 members, hopefully there are many more that have replaced their pump at one point.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Sta-Rite Duraglass II
    4 years
    After multiple bearings and seals were replaced (first by me, then by a motor shop)the pump was still excessively loud.
    Outdoors for two years, indoors for two.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

1) Pump make and model.
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    6 years
    Motor got very loud on low speed
    2"
    Exposed to elements, mostly shaded though
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

14. Back To Top    #14

1) Pump make and model. Superpump 1.5 hp
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure 6 years
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) impeller broke, melted to motor shaft
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

15. Back To Top    #15

please answer the following questions:
    The pump currently on my system (just failed)
    1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed Pump 1.5HP SP2610X152S
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure. 2 Years
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Loud Noise, worse on low speed. Had to turn off before neighbors complain
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation Exposed

The pump that was in use before the one above.
    1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super Pump 1HP
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure 2.5 years
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Motor Bearings
    Hope this helps, I'm very interested in the results myself as the 1st pump just failed last night and I need to find a replacement.
    17' x 32' 20k gal IGP Vinyl
    SWG, Pentair Inteliflo VF, Sand filter
    Polaris with booster pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks again to everyone who participated. I will be bumping this up every now and then to hopefully get some more responses.
    Mark

17. Back To Top    #17

1) Pump make and model.
    Hayward Superpump 1.0 HP
    4-1/2 years
    Motor loud (bearings) last summer, wet end stuck now
    1.5"
    Exposed to elements, mostly shaded

Replacing with a Whisperflow Full Rated 1.5HP 2 speed.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

18. Back To Top    #18

1) Pump make and model. Hayward Super Pump II
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure 2 years
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc) Leak at back of pump into motor and caused corrosion

That was my second pump to go. The first was the same model and went legs up after a lightning strike. Can't really count that one.
    33,000 Gallon Vinyl Liner In-Ground Pool
    Intelliflo VS Pump; Triton II TR100 Sand Filter with Plumbed Waste Line
    IC40 SWG Cell; Easy Touch 4 Control Panel; Polaris PB4-60Q Halcyon Booster Pump
    Polaris 280 Automatic Cleaner; Dedicated return line; 1/2 Full Beer, Something on the Weber;
    AND, most importantly a TF100 Test Kit and a SpeedStir.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Hi, I'll answer within your post.

1) Pump make and model. Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp single speed
    2) Approximate age of pump at failure5 years
    3) Reason for pump failure. (e.g. motor, leak, housing crack, etc)bottom of casing rusted through to motor
    5) Sheltered or exposed installation exposed installation on plastic pump/filter base

Just wanted to add that the replacement pump, another Dynamo, this time a 2 speed .75/1.0 HP is showing signs of rust in the same area after 2 years in the elements. It is starting at the mounting bracket, just like last time. I elevated the pump 1/2" off the platform with rubber washers but it doesn't appear to have helped. This one is also noisy so I have a replacement motor I will install soon. Thinking about coating the mounting brackets with that spray on rubber stuff before I install it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

I'll have to remember to check mine closely when I go back out there. Thanks for the heads up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast