Cartridge Filter 10psi increase in 45 minutes of use?!?

Dec 7, 2011
Naples, FL
I thought I would start a new topic, since my last topic on low waterflow and air in my pump basket that I started is no longer relevant as the issue was solved by removing the filter..

Anyways, to expand on what we found out in the previous topic..I have a cartridge filter for my pool. Recently moved into the house and am in the shock process of getting rid of algae. pool is at the point of being nice a blue, with it being a bit hazy and hard to see the drains in the 5 ft deep area...but otherwise looking great compared to the beginning of the week.

I have not been able to get my pressure below 20 psi since I moved in and had HORRIBLE water flow..basically none, so I finally found the problem with the help of my other topic and it was the filter..it looked clean and I had sprayed it off several times before, but I soaked it last night in dishwasher detergent (maybe didn't use enough?) to try that and now with it clean it is reading 8 psi when I run the pump...huge difference compared to what I was used to seeing!

All good and great, but after 30-45 minutes the pressure slowly rises up to 18-20 psi, and my flow starts falling to basically nothing again. I have cleaned the filter 3 times today and been monitoring it. I take it out and it looks ALMOST as clean as it was when I put it in..if I put it back in without cleaning, I get the same 20 psi, but if I clean it again (spray it down really good) im back down to 8 psi...What am I missing? Can it be getting plugged up that fast, especially since I can't even see what is plugging it? Spraying it down seems to do the trick, but like I said it only helps for about 45 minutes, then I am out there cleaning it again.

Maybe this is normal through this process and others have had to do the same thing, but I haven't read anything on that when searching so I need to figure out why it is doing this.

Thanks

I posted in your other thread. You almost surely have algae in your pool and, yes, it will clog a cartridge filter very quickly.

You need to post a full set of test results and we can start helping you get your water balanced. Please read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School and then post your test results for the things mentioned there.

This is what I am finding when I test: (I am using strips..I know that is not good, but its all I have right now and am waiting on receiving a good test kit)

TC 10 (max the strips show, so maybe higher)
FC ~20
PH ~7.2
ALK ~120
CY ACID 30-50

Pool is free of green, just a bit hazy and a little dirty since I just finally got things working to get enough pressure today to vacuum, which I will do tomorrow..

I will take a picture quick if I can..it is getting dark

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

Yeah, the strips don't help much but post your results as soon as your test kit gets in. From the strip results, it looks like you are on the right track (and killing algae....which is why your filter is clogging up) so keep doing what you are doing 'til your kit gets in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.