Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't remove pool pump lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't remove pool pump lid

Hi Guys. I was wondering if you can give me any advice on how to remove my pool pump lid. I never had a problem before until I replaced the filters in my DE pump. At the same time I put silicone lubricant on the O ring for the filter itself, I did the same thing (apparently stupidly) for the gasket on the pump basket/lid, and now I can't get it off.

This is the basket:

And the lid looks similar (although not exactly the same) to this:

Any help would be appreciated!
    20,000 gallons, Nautilus FNS DE filter, IG, plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can't remove pool pump lid

they do sell a tool to remove lids. I don't know the model number off the top of my head but it might be at a local pool store. Sometimes kicking the lid with a glancing blow in the direction it's supposed to turn will loosen it up. Personally I think you are better off with the tool, then cleaning the lid and o-ring and then lubricating.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    they do sell a tool to remove lids. I don't know the model number off the top of my head but it might be at a local pool store. Sometimes kicking the lid with a glancing blow in the direction it's supposed to turn will loosen it up. Personally I think you are better off with the tool, then cleaning the lid and o-ring and then lubricating.
    Oh cool, I will check with my local pool store. Thanks!

I thought about using a hammer to kind of get it loose (like kicking it) but I don't want to break it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use a long pair of channel lock pliers.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I use a long pair of channel lock pliers.
    Thanks! I did try something like that with a different tool, but it didn't work. I'll try the pliers and see if they work better.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you have a couple of 2x4's (roughly 2-3' each)and some clamps, clamp them snugly on each side of the ridges on the lid and unscrew the lid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If you have a couple of 2x4's (roughly 2-3' each)and some clamps, clamp them snugly on each side of the ridges on the lid and unscrew the lid.
    Another great idea! Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that the Hayward SP3100T Cover Removal Tool would work.

http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=992

There is also this tool:

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/best ... TOOL/79675

9. Back To Top    #9

Try turning the lid with the pump on. The suction can sometimes make it easier to turn.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I took a 1x4 and cut a groove in it. Keep it behind the filter so it is always handy.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by proginov
    I took a 1x4 and cut a groove in it. Keep it behind the filter so it is always handy.
    That's a really slick idea! Thanks for posting it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by proginov
    That's a really slick idea! Thanks for posting it.
    That is a great idea! I'm going to have to try that! I have the same kind of pump lid. The first time I took it off, I thought I was going to break it and it would never come off. I think I used some kind of long handled adjustable wrench, like channel locks, pipe wrench or something like that to get it off. I remember use a rag on the lid handle to try and keep the jaws from damaging it.

I wouldn't sweat the silicone pool lube, you should use it to help keep o-ring lubed and help seal the lid against possible leaks. Btw you don't have wrench it back on with tons of force, you just need it tight enough to seat so air and water don't leak in/out. Make sure the o-ring is in good shape, lube it and ensure the channels the o-ring sits in are clean. In my case the o-ring was worn and the last person to touch it didn't lubed it (or so it seemed). So he just wrenched on with a loads of force so it wouldn't leak.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

13. Back To Top    #13

What kind of lube do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Rick

14. Back To Top    #14

For the o-rings, just regular pool lube.. Its sold a pool supply stores and online.

Currently I use some stuff from leslies, because they right around the corner from work. But any lube designed for pools will work fine. Just don't petroleum jelly, it can degrade the o-ring
    http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pump...ies/68926.html

Maybe some others here will name the brands they like. Honestly I never thought about it much, the lube isn't that expensive and lasts a while.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

15. Back To Top    #15

plumbers silicone grease works well.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by rickh_4c
    What kind of lube do you recommend?
    Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant

http://www.drillspot.com/products/31166 ... nd_Sealant

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I have found that while it's fine to lube the O ring, if I let the silicone grease get on the treads it collects dust and grit and makes opening and closing the cap difficult. Keep the treads clean and dry.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I know this is an old thread, but I just figured out a great way to get that type of cover off if it's stuck. I went to the garage and grabbed my husband's pitchfork. (The kind with the thicker tines that you use for gardening.) The spacing between the tines of the fork was perfect and I was able to turn the entire pitchfork and get my cover off easily.

I hope this helps someone in the future. Please excuse the state our pump is in. We inherited it when we bought this house.
    Christine

19. Back To Top    #19

Welcome to tfp, chanisco

Great tip!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast