Closed New SWG V-IGP with high water level ??

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
(Moved to appropriate area)

My pool was just finished in Late October and closed mid-Nov. PB closed when I was out of town. He used gizmo's in the two skimmers. Water level was left at normal (about 1/2 way up skimmer). With ran/snow recently, this morning I noticed my safety cover didn't need much to get it to touch the water in the center. Sure enough, I went out and the water level in the skimmers is clear over top of the opening in the pool plus some.

I know removing water from a SWG pool will lower salt content, but should it be done? Is there a chance that the water could get behind liner where attached to coping?

Thanks for the input!

Ted

Found this elsewhere:

Water level. This is an area of a little controversy with some people, so we are going to tell you how they close the pools in New York & the Northeast. You do not have to drain any water out of the pool provided that you have properly blown out and plugged all your underground pipes as outlined above and you do not have a pool that has decorative ceramic tiles at the water line. Some people are used to their pool being drained down past the skimmer. This is usually done instead of blowing out the pipes and using gizzmos. Realize that the higher their water level is through the winter, the better it is for the pool cover. Pools that are drained down low cause a lot of undue stress on the pool cover thereby shortening its life - as well as exposing the pool liner to the air and causing it to prematurely dry out. The use of gizzmos prevents the skimmers from cracking, plugs the pipes and allows the water level to remain high for the cover so that rain water does not cause a lake on top of the pool cover - possibly causing it to fall in. We feel that the way we have stated to close a pool is the proper way. You really only have to drain the water down in a pool if it has tile at the water level because the surface water will freeze and expand over the winter and this could cause those tiles to crack. Aside from this situation, we feel that there is no valid reason to lower the water in the pool. Also, you do not have to remove or "lower" the pool light provided that you keep your water at the normal level.
I guess I just got concerned that there was some way for water to get behind the steel wall if above liner insertion point? Is my concern warranted?

You'll always have to monitor your salt levels - as you use the pool and have splash out, rain, back washing (if you have a DE or sand filter) and evaporation will all change your salt concentration and eventually you will need to add more salt. Do you have a good test kit and salt test strips or drop test?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.