Freeze Protection help/Sugestions?

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have a pool with a freeze protection standalone box that seems to not be working. I really don't want to pay a pool service 80 dollars to come out and tell me it's not working then charge to install one. Is this something that is easily installed with proper safety precautions taken?

It has been below freezing a few nights this week, and it's not kicking on. it is set at 36 degrees and it was 31 out and the pool was off. Is there a way to test it better, or just assume it's not working. I will take a picture of it later and post it. I know it worked last season. The place it is in gets sun on it during the afternoon, but this was in the morning and it is shady on the box.

If i do need a new one, any suggestions on a basic, cheap freeze protector i could swap out the broken one for?

No idea what brand it is. any guesses where i can look for that? Was installed when i moved in. Where is the temp sensor to "ice it" How do you do that?

here are the pictures:

Inside
img2983m.jpg

Side
img2984yf.jpg

outside
img2988uz.jpg

Oh, I see. There's a dark line in the wall that I thought was the wires going straight down. Well, if you open up the timer box you can at least follow the wires for a little further. Maybe a picture of your equipment would help. Sorry!

That's an ABCO model FP240 freeze protector. Here's the manual for it. There's a capillary tube in the box that senses the temp. If you find it you can take ice in a zip-lock bag and lay on or against it and it should actuate in a minute or less. CAUTION: TURN OFF THE POWER until you have placed the ice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.