Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freeze Protection help/Sugestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Freeze Protection help/Sugestions?

I have a pool with a freeze protection standalone box that seems to not be working. I really don't want to pay a pool service 80 dollars to come out and tell me it's not working then charge to install one. Is this something that is easily installed with proper safety precautions taken?

It has been below freezing a few nights this week, and it's not kicking on. it is set at 36 degrees and it was 31 out and the pool was off. Is there a way to test it better, or just assume it's not working. I will take a picture of it later and post it. I know it worked last season. The place it is in gets sun on it during the afternoon, but this was in the morning and it is shady on the box.

If i do need a new one, any suggestions on a basic, cheap freeze protector i could swap out the broken one for?
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freeze Protection help/Sugestions?

Post a pic of it and a model and we'll have a better idea. There should be a temp sensor attached to it and you can ice it and get it to actuate. That's the easiest way to test it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No idea what brand it is. any guesses where i can look for that? Was installed when i moved in. Where is the temp sensor to "ice it" How do you do that?

here are the pictures:

Inside

Side

outside
    new house: TBDK gal IG plaster pool, filter Titan CM DE filter 36 sq ft , 1.5 HP Pump; Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks like there is a set of blue and black wires going out the bottom of the box; follow 'em!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

and that will lead to the temp sensor. Pretty sure those go into a silver electrical tube that goes into the timer box next to it (as barely seen in the last picture). What does the temp sensor look like?

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, I see. There's a dark line in the wall that I thought was the wires going straight down. Well, if you open up the timer box you can at least follow the wires for a little further. Maybe a picture of your equipment would help. Sorry!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

That's an ABCO model FP240 freeze protector. Here's the manual for it. There's a capillary tube in the box that senses the temp. If you find it you can take ice in a zip-lock bag and lay on or against it and it should actuate in a minute or less. CAUTION: TURN OFF THE POWER until you have placed the ice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit